Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C98's "Big Announcment"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabroni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i commend you for being drunk at 8 PM on a thursday. i wish i was!

that being said. i agree that c98 does play some pretty sweet music at times. i just find it hard to put up with the shit in order to get the good stuff. i listen to my ipod in the car. even then, i skip some of the stuff i put on there myself. i'm stupid like that.
thebunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darlene wrote:
zmd wrote:
thebunk wrote:
Everytime I turn on the Pirate it seems I am faced with at least one of the two scenarios:

1) There is a hiphop song playing (not dissing hiphop, but it is something I am not a fan of).
2) I cannot tune in due to the poor reception or it cuts out shortly after tunning in.

I did hear Saphire on there once and that was cool.

i still haven't heard it :( did i sound fat?

No .. just phat.

What she said!
worn out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea tehre is a lot of shit, buttis radio. wne i have CDs or my smancy fancy ipod(obviously i dont own one) id listen to it, but the wave plays one good song, IN MY OPINON once every never, 103.5 plays half lil john*snap ypo fingers..do a dance, you can do iotn all by yoself com and do it wifme!* and half rock/local. nayways, im just defending C98 because as radio goes its the best we got.
thebunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worn out wrote:
alright i stoped readin after like 6 posts. For one the music doesnt fucking suck, fuck you!, some music sucks in youir opinion yes, but fuck, im my opinion wintersleep. fucking. suck. but i dont say this simply because its a fucking choice and a fucking opinion and a tatste as to what comes out so8nding good to others. just because one style of music isnt your cup of tea doesnt mean it looses all fucking moral or fucking merit. C98 plays the stones, neil young, alice cooper, tom petty, aerosmith, etc.etc. in my opinion this music fucking kicks some serious ass. NOW! they also play shit like creed, theory of a dreadman, and dare i say U2, this music is not MY cup of tea. IM BASIUCALY ON A DRUNKEN RANT, but i hope moslty you getmy point, im nopt trying to start shit, just fund it real fucking offensiver when people diss good shit, and lump it into one giant shitpile or shitdust, to simplyt be shitblown away by the god damn drunken shitwinds. fuck off and die. IN MY OPINION.

I love a lot of the bands that they play on C98 (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, etc.). One of the biggest problems I have with the station (besides all of the shit they play) is that they play the same 2 or 3 songs from all of their good bands.

The only Beatles songs I have ever heard on the station are Get Back, Back in the USSR and Come Together. No Hey Jude, Revolution, Let it Be, Lady Madonna, Strawberry Fields, Norweigon Wood, etc.

For the Stones, I only ever heard Start Me Up, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Woman.

Anyway, you get the drift.
giggleycraft
MILF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, C98 could be good if they would play a variety. They usually just play a lot of arena rock (Styx, Journey....), then the same 3 Led Zep songs, the same 3 ACDC, same 3 or 4 Stones tunes....... There is so much good classic rock out there, I don't see why they can't play a little more of it. That being said, they are the only Rock station in town, so I usually end up listening to it in the car. I don't have a fancy ipod, or even a tapedeck in the car. I used to listen to a lot of CFMH in the car, but some of the content was inappropriate for my son, and now I just can't get it to tune in when I want it. I don't do hip hop or rap, but I do enjoy the local content on the Pirate. I really don't do light rock pop crap that is played on K100 and the Wave, so I'm pretty much SOL.
countdownhype

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points about the lack of variety on c98..maybe that will change with the new name (but *sigh* I doubt it). Why not some old Metallica?!
Jabroni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing i don't like about c98 is that they shy away from new and interesting rock, only to play it once it is "classic" thus showing how they lack vision and are just catering to a dumbed down audience.
Daniel Druff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed C98 a few times to tell them that they are boring the hell out of this city with the same old tired tunes. Like others have said, good bands are played, but the same 3-4 tunes. They replied to me saying that they have done surveys and this is what their target market wants. I can't exactly remember the demographic, but I think they said males from 25-40, or something like that. Well, every male friend of mine is pretty much in that range, and they all hate it. AS DO I. AS DO I....... There is sooooooooo much good music out there. It's like they ripped off some CD's from some shitty DJ, and they just keep playing them over and over. Terrible.

Oh, and they also mentioned the cancon thing, which is bullshit. Sure, you gotta play Canadian content. That don't mean you gots ta play shit. There's all kinds of good Canadian music that they could and should be playing, but alas.....they choose not to.

Fuck 'em and their shitty ass station. :-)
geddyshredpwn
Prog as fack!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what...... i think that was one of the greatest drunken rants that this forum has ever seen. there sure was a ton of cursing...... but it was tasteful :)

very well done, worn out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan j wrote:
i commend you for being drunk at 8 PM on a thursday. i wish i was!

that being said. i agree that c98 does play some pretty sweet music at times. i just find it hard to put up with the shit in order to get the good stuff. i listen to my ipod in the car. even then, i skip some of the stuff i put on there myself. i'm stupid like that.

here here! i wish i was drunk too!!!

"I guess that's why sequential never made a prophet mohamed."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancon...some see it as a crutch. The 'must' for cancon is 35%, for any music station in Canada. Some play 35%, and that's it...

I am proud to say we play 50% on The Pirate. By choice. Some of the Canadian Rap/HipHop is really quite good. And the Canadian Rock/Alt/Indie/etc is deadly. Why shy away from what's yours, I say...especially when it's Ace.

my Radio career was borne on C98, and I have many friends who are there, (as well as the Wave, Country94, K100, CFBC, NewsongFM, and CFMH) and have been there, and likely will be again (not ME, but some, maybe). I support all of them, and what they do. I may not care for Country, but I'm not about to slag on the station. Maybe it's because I was there once and I know them all...but probably due to the tremendous amount of respect for Broadcasting, and my colleagues, and friends here in my hometown. Now that I'm all sentimental, I have to list some names. Just cause.

JimHennessyGaryMacdonaldJimLavignePattiSheaDanCoultonLoriCarle
GaryStackhouseMelindaBarkhouseSeanCrowleyMarkBrennan
BruceWeaverAndyScottDonnieRobertsonIanRobertsSteveMackin
PaulJensenDonMabeeChrisLondonLeeBeachKellyThorneJustinCraig
RickMantleSoniaHartInghamPalmerBrianMacLeanTrishHamiltonAndrewCromwell...

...And MANY more. These people have helped me immensely in many different ways. And I thank them.

Also, in no particular order. Whatever their format, whenver it was, wherever it was, it sucks to hear all the ranging on what they do/did, because they're all the very best of broadcasters, as well as amazing people, and I thank them for doing it here.

Man, I Love what I do.
-ZMD

Last edited by marc on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
thebunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc wrote:
Cancon...some see it as a crutch. The 'must' for cancon is 35%, for any music station in Canada. Some play 35%, and that's it...

I am proud to say we play 50% on The Pirate. By choice. Some of the Canadian Rap/HipHop is really quite good. And the Canadian Rock/Alt/Indie/etc is deadly. Why shy away from what's yours, I say...especially when it's Ace.

my Radio career was borne on C98, and I have many friends who are there, (as well as the Wave, Country94, K100, CFBC, NewsongFM, and CFMH) and have been there, and likely will be again (not ME, but some, maybe). I support all of them, and what they do. I may not care for Country, but I'm not about to slag on the station. Maybe it's because I was there once and I know them all...but probably due to the tremendous amount of respect for Broadcasting, and my colleagues, and friends here in my hometown. Now that I'm all sentimental, I have to list some names. Just cause.

JimHennessyGaryMacdonaldJimLavignePattiSheaDanCoultonLoriCarle
GaryStackhouseMelindaBarkhouseSeanCrowleyMarkBrennan
BruceWeaverAndyScottDonnieRobertsonIanRobertsSteveMackin
PaulJensenDonMabeeChrisLondonLeeBeachKellyThorneJustinCraig
RickMantleSoniaHartInghamPalmerBrianMacLeanAndrewCromwell...

...And MANY more. These people have helped me immensely in many different ways. And I thank them.

Also, in no particular order. Whatever their format, whenver it was, wherever it was, it sucks to hear all the ranging on what they do/did, because they're all the very best of broadcasters, as well as amazing people, and I thank them for doing it here.

Man, I Love what I do.

What about Zoo Boy?
Jabroni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had me at
Quote:
MelindaBarkhouse
marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebunk wrote:

What about Zoo Boy?

Uh..no.
-ZMD
thebunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc wrote:
thebunk wrote:

What about Zoo Boy?

Uh..no.

He was the best radio personality that has graced the SJ air waves IMO. He was really off the wall and downright hilarious.

Does anyone remember this guy? I think his first name was Andrew something.
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved zoo boy! he was what made that morning show!

"I guess that's why sequential never made a prophet mohamed."
Trip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worn out wrote:
alright i stoped readin after like 6 posts. For one the music doesnt fucking suck, fuck you!, some music sucks in youir opinion yes, but fuck, im my opinion wintersleep. fucking. suck. but i dont say this simply because its a fucking choice and a fucking opinion and a tatste as to what comes out so8nding good to others. just because one style of music isnt your cup of tea doesnt mean it looses all fucking moral or fucking merit. C98 plays the stones, neil young, alice cooper, tom petty, aerosmith, etc.etc. in my opinion this music fucking kicks some serious ass. NOW! they also play shit like creed, theory of a dreadman, and dare i say U2, this music is not MY cup of tea. IM BASIUCALY ON A DRUNKEN RANT, but i hope moslty you getmy point, im nopt trying to start shit, just fund it real fucking offensiver when people diss good shit, and lump it into one giant shitpile or shitdust, to simplyt be shitblown away by the god damn drunken shitwinds. fuck off and die. IN MY OPINION.

Yes, you made your point. You were drunk off your ass and completely missed the point of a 50+ post thread by reading about 10% of it... I'm jealous. lol

I quite enjoy C98 at times, too. It's just the kind of station that I change quite often because it can be very hit or miss.

The same can be said for The Pirate or CFMH. The music isn't crap, I just love/adore 50% of it, and can't stomache the other 50% of it.

Saint John has a pretty good radio environment overall. I can usually find something good to listen to between those 3 stations or I just pop something into my cd player.

On another note, is it true that the new management let go off all of their DJs? I don't listen to C98 much, but someone told me they hadn't heard any DJs on in a long time. That would suck.
marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip wrote:

On another note, is it true that the new management let go off all of their DJs? I don't listen to C98 much, but someone told me they hadn't heard any DJs on in a long time. That would suck.

No, not true.

I think they're just letting the new format 'roll' for a li'l bit. They'll be back.
-ZMD
Trip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: