Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Selling Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Guitar Selling Advice Reply with quote

I have this guitar. I got it around 2004 or 2005, I think. I need to try to dig out the receipt.

Anyway. It no longer suits my playing style, which is basically smashy power chords and noisy feedback solos. I hate the stupid floating bridge that makes it impossible to tune, and the allegedly glorious S1 switching technology is basically a sticky switch that makes little difference in sound.

So I want to sell it for as much money as possible.

I bought it for $1,600, but it ain't worth that anymore.

I have the whole Toronto area market to sell in.

Anyone have any experience squeezing as much value out of an instrument as possible?

Here's my plan so far:

Step 1: Get a good set-up.
Step 2: ...
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Judging by really old Matt Higgins GC posts, I got it in the summer of 2005.
roachie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Selling Advice Reply with quote

songles wrote:
I hate the stupid floating bridge that makes it impossible to tune, and the allegedly glorious S1 switching technology is basically a sticky switch that makes little difference in sound.

I would leave that part out of the ad.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. Strats are not regarded highly around GC, so I'm not afraid to slag openly.
reverend buddy winkler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just block the bridge and rewire it without the S1 switch?

That should be a great guitar, and even with the trem floating, you shouldn't be having tuning problems (it's got locking tuners and a roller nut, unless you do dive bombs with it, it should hold pretty good).

You'll probably take a huge hit on it (you paid 1600, you might get 1000 for it).

You could easily swap out the humbucker for something hotter when you rewire it without the switch (which is pretty simple even if you don't know how to solder, or for the price of a soldering iron, get a tech to do it).

Blocking the bridge is just a matter of tightening down the springs till the bridge is flush and doesn't float anymore... then jam a piece of wood (a piece of maple or something would work great) between the bridge and the body in the back of the guitar.

The thing with strats is they can do pretty much anything, and they're usually pretty much indestructible. I wouldn't part with it if I were you.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I'll consider my options.

I don't know if it's the floating bridge or not, but I have a real problem with the low E string going sharp when I strum hard. As it settles down it goes back in tune, but it makes it hard to get a good crisp sound on an open E chord.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: