Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Rig question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubical

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Guitar Rig question Reply with quote

Guitar Rig 4- Great program, lots of flexibility, etc, etc

I am attempting to use it with Reaper. I can open the program through as a VSTI, and it records fine, the only problem is the signal has quite a bit of latency. I can fix it after recording, or apply the program after recording a track, but the sound is delayed if I record with the program active.

I'm sure it must be something stupid, possibly related to a setting in reaper. Has anyone else experienced this/ know how to correct it? Would be much appreciated.
geddyshredpwn
Prog as fack!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of interface are you using? In any case, you'll need to find a way to turn the buffer size down. If there is a little system tray icon for your interface driver, double click it and turn down your hardware buffer. 256 samples is a fairly standard and reasonable rate. If you experience pops and clicks, you've set the buffer size too low.

If you're using your computer's sound card, download an application called asio4all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
roachie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem the last time I fired up the rig... let me know the steps you had taken and I'll copy/paste them on my machine.
andrew todd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my older computer Guitar rig worked latency free as a stand alone but when used as a VST in Ableton it had latency.

I ended up solving it with a work around by having the standalone open at the same time as ableton and routing its audio out of my firebox and back into the 2nd input and into ableton.
mikef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I'm using a USB interface so latency is always an issue when i get more than a couple dry guitar tracks going. Thus my workaround has been not to record the tracks dry as people typically do in a DAW, but to record the output from Guitar Rig as i play it sort of like live recording. I set the track to record the output with a setting called "stereo (latency compensated)" but it works for me. Yes it kills the ability to tweak your guitar settings after recording but i didn't find i was doing that much anyways. I've created a number of presets that i pretty much stick to for the most part.

So unless i have a whole bunch of VST's running the latency is usually not a problem. Btw i have the sample rate on my interface set to one of the higher quality settings.

I don't recall if there is a "latency compensated" setting on the input recording settings, but there might be. I'm at work or i'd check myself.
cubical

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, I tried all the said above and it is still being pokey. The sound is very much there, but its milliseconds too late. I'm am using the Tascam US1800 interface, again with Reaper. I can't tell you exact specs on the PC, but I know it has 3Gb of RAM, with a 250 Gb hard drive. I've run lots of programs before with no problems

In addition, I also figured out how to access the aSIO driver with options for sample rate, latency compensation ( input & output). I didn't want to frig with them in case I made things worse. I'm not finding information online pertaining to adjusting these parameters. Could anyone clear this up for me.
Spank-you muchly!
mikef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the US1800 is a much better model than my interface (Tascam US144) so there must just be some dumb setting you're missing. I've got a comparable computer as well. I think mine has 4GB of ram so maybe that's the difference?

Is the USB port you're using USB 2.0 or 1.0? Sometimes i've found that the USB inputs on the front of a PC are only 1.0 while the ones in the rear are 2.0. Take a look at your computers hardware profile and make sure you're using the faster ports.
miracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave, the latency issue is related to the sample rate, drop it down to 256 and it should be fine, you won't break anything by changing that.

give me a call if get a deer in the headlights moment.
geddyshredpwn
Prog as fack!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubical wrote:
In addition, I also figured out how to access the aSIO driver with options for sample rate, latency compensation ( input & output). I didn't want to frig with them in case I made things worse. I'm not finding information online pertaining to adjusting these parameters. Could anyone clear this up for me.
Spank-you muchly!

Can you post a screen shot of it?

Last edited by geddyshredpwn on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
geddyshredpwn
Prog as fack!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miracle wrote:
dave, the latency issue is related to the sample rate, drop it down to 256 and it should be fine

Sample rate is a value in kHz. Those usb interfaces are usually set at 44.1 . You are probably thinking of buffer size.
miracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geddyshredpwn wrote:
miracle wrote:
dave, the latency issue is related to the sample rate, drop it down to 256 and it should be fine

Sample rate is a value in kHz. Those usb interfaces are usually set at 44.1 . You are probably thinking of buffer size.

yes, that's it buffer size!
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geddyshredpwn wrote:
miracle wrote:

Yeah, sample rate is relating to the frequency resolution. It's fine at 44.1KHz for all intents and purposes.

Alex is right, your buffer settings likely need to be adjusted for tracking. Bear in mind buffer settings for tracking and mixing aren't necessarily going to be the same depending on the circumstances. The long and short of it is that you want your buffer settings as low as your computer can handle for tracking (256 would be a good start if your computer is capable of it.) When you are done tracking you can raise the buffer size to maximize performance.

Here's a good article on the subject that you can read in your spare time:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/pcmusician.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: