Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cougars Open Mic - Suggestion Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Cougars Open Mic - Suggestion Box Reply with quote

Hi folks!

As many of you know... Roachie, PBiz and I have been hosting an open mic on Sunday nights at Cougars for many years now. It's been a lot of fun and we are very appreciative of the support we have received in all these years.

That being said, we are looking to improve on the night anyway we can. Numbers have been down this past year and we are looking to see what we can do to bring more people in.

Do any of you have any suggestions? We want to make this the best experience possible for both spectators and performers. To that end, aside from from the ongoing $13.50 pitcher special, there are talks about doing an all day happy hour as well.

Maybe PBiz needs to shave his beard? Maybe I need to take my shirt off like that other French guy from Divine Heist? Do you want to hear a certain song that we don't play or maybe there is a song that we play that you hate so much that you stopped coming?

Whatever you guys think... We are open to your suggestions! Any reasonable request will be considered.

Thanks everyone! :-)
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
clinton
tickled dink


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11701
Location: graspin'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have it somewhere else.

*smiley face
_________________
...a note in the opening chords of a song

www.clintoncharlton.com
www.myspace.com/clintoncharlton
www.januarythroughdecember.com
www.reverbnation.com/clintoncharlton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 15271

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check in your pants?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clinton wrote:
have it somewhere else.

*smiley face

Your house?

Hawk wrote:
Did you check in your pants?

I did and attendance was down there too.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Clinton: Are there some things in particular that could be improved to make you more comfortable there?
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumwaiter wrote:
Hawk wrote:
Did you check in your pants?

I did and attendance was down there too.

No more whiskey specials.
_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 15271

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, if any, marketing exists for the open mic?

I'm thinking there just needs to be more of a buzz about it, through the use of traditional posters as well as social media. Get somebody making some videos of some kind so people can get a sense of what to expect. Hit up Uptown Saint John or the Saint John Tourism site to get it listed on their calendars of events.

I think there just needs to some kind of slick marketing push for it. A "hey, think you got the chops?" kind of campaign or something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
What, if any, marketing exists for the open mic?

I'm thinking there just needs to be more of a buzz about it, through the use of traditional posters as well as social media. Get somebody making some videos of some kind so people can get a sense of what to expect. Hit up Uptown Saint John or the Saint John Tourism site to get it listed on their calendars of events.

I think there just needs to some kind of slick marketing push for it. A "hey, think you got the chops?" kind of campaign or something like that.


I agree totally, and this is what we are going over with management right now. We had a meeting on Monday and we're going to really start pushing the advertising. We have a video being made in two weeks as well for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Thanks for your input Hawk, most of it simply reinforces our ideas, but I really like the idea you had of something a bit slicker for a marketing campaign.

The "Hey, You think you got chops?" twist is an interesting one. Maybe we can offer some sort of prize for performers that get up and play? Maybe a draw?

Anyone know who to get a hold of at H[e]re. I'd liek to see about maybe getting a mention there...

Thanks again for the feedback!
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook page with updates/pictures/videos/song requests/band sign-ups/etc.
_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
song requests/band sign-ups/etc.


those two are really good suggestions. thanks.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
Facebook page with updates/pictures/videos/song requests/band sign-ups/etc.


Good ideas!
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I'm disappointed here. Nobody said pyro, dancers, drugs, alcohol, tour bus... nothing of the like.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Cryptowen
Positive Pelé


Joined: 07 Jun 2008
Posts: 3494
Location: Mtl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all be riding horses around the bar while you play your instruments, & at the end of the night if the crowd reacted positively the horses get sugar cubes.

If the crowd reacted negatively they get refunds in the form of horse gumbo
_________________
http://world3.tk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
clinton
tickled dink


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11701
Location: graspin'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kidding but only half so. I've only been to open mic there twice. First time there was violence and second time was fine but uncomfortable. I'm not a big fan of the boardwalk and the clientele it attracts. Maybe it's gotten better or maybe there was never a problem, I dunno. I've played Cougars once for a solo gig as well and it was really uncomfortable (and some regular spilled beer all over my gear). I could just be a weirdo.

Anyway, I dunno. Some of the ideas mentioned here are great. Maybe some fun promos like draw names and make a band that'll play there the next week might be fun. Theme nights like "all original" or "a tribute to Chilliwack" might be popular too. Have the audience vote for the best act and give them a pitcher....could work.

Also, stay away from my house Drumwaiter!!
_________________
...a note in the opening chords of a song

www.clintoncharlton.com
www.myspace.com/clintoncharlton
www.januarythroughdecember.com
www.reverbnation.com/clintoncharlton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 13310
Location: at the pad, beer in sticky fingers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was 2-5 on Saturday afternoons, that would be cool.

Also, I like the idea of promoting themes.
"70's Canadian rockers"
"New Wave"
"All Ramones, all the time"
"Hair Metal, complete with wigs "
"Slayer songs Transformed into Acoustic Ballads"
" A Capella RUSH (including drum solos)"
"Kanye West (NOT)"
_________________
"I am very optimistic. I'm a sceptic, but not a pessimist. Despite my doleful-looking face." - EC

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website    
roachie



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 428

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you don't have to worry too much about the clientele 'cause there aren't any these days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
clinton
tickled dink


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11701
Location: graspin'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBiz wrote:
I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!


it's often that Penny Blacks jams on a Sunday night, we will have to remember about this and come down one of these nights.
_________________
...a note in the opening chords of a song

www.clintoncharlton.com
www.myspace.com/clintoncharlton
www.januarythroughdecember.com
www.reverbnation.com/clintoncharlton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clinton wrote:
PBiz wrote:
I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!


it's often that Penny Blacks jams on a Sunday night, we will have to remember about this and come down one of these nights.


Do it, or we're comin' to you!
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
roachie



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 428

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clinton wrote:
First time there was violence and second time was fine but uncomfortable.


I do remember that night, and honestly I don't remember any violence since... and secondly, I have really nice blanket and slippers I could bring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachie wrote:
clinton wrote:
First time there was violence and second time was fine but uncomfortable.


I do remember that night, and honestly I don't remember any violence since... and secondly, I have really nice blanket and slippers I could bring.


Careful, he's old. He might take those. He won't exactly run with them, but he might point one way, and when you look, run the other way. Classic old guy move.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBiz wrote:
roachie wrote:
clinton wrote:
First time there was violence and second time was fine but uncomfortable.


I do remember that night, and honestly I don't remember any violence since... and secondly, I have really nice blanket and slippers I could bring.


Careful, he's old. He might take those. He won't exactly run with them, but he might point one way, and when you look, shuffle the other way. Classic old guy move.

_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
PBiz wrote:
roachie wrote:
clinton wrote:
First time there was violence and second time was fine but uncomfortable.


I do remember that night, and honestly I don't remember any violence since... and secondly, I have really nice blanket and slippers I could bring.


Careful, he's old. He might take those. He won't exactly run with them, but he might point one way, and when you look, shuffle the other way. Classic old guy move.


Hahaha, I looked that over thinking "something's odd with this". Thanks.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
clinton
tickled dink


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11701
Location: graspin'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now I'm not coming down, dicks

*smiley face again
_________________
...a note in the opening chords of a song

www.clintoncharlton.com
www.myspace.com/clintoncharlton
www.januarythroughdecember.com
www.reverbnation.com/clintoncharlton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love to pop in on a Sunday when I'm home and don't have anything to do Monday mornings. Could it be the whole Sunday night in winter thing? Is it cyclical at all? New years resolutions? So many possible variables? Do a study!? Hire songles to commission some stats on shredded tofu and all things boardwalk.
_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Lash



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11225
Location: Does your bum hurt?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point form.

- It's sunday night, winding down from the weekend and getting ready for monday morning.
-Regular shows dwindled down as well, folks go out to special shows and bands. I respect you guys as musicians and people, but the crowd probably dwindled when the variety of acts dwindled.
-Start contacting musicians/bands you or your pals would like to see some time. Send them out a direct invitation to pop in and play a couple, make sure they know they can have a free drink and jam with new folks.
-Interact with your audience, the ones you don't know, point 'em out and joke around, I bet many of the people who might walk in can play a guitar, interaction makes them more comfortable to speak up/step up and give it a try.
-Maybe once a month or two have an open mic that supports a cause in our community, or something like that. Bring out supporters and their friends who support them.
_________________
www.ErinKellyPhotography.com

I try to convey remembrance, the feeling of generations... I like the feeling of summer in the old days, the feeling of old newsreels or photographs. You get the feeling of fading away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lash wrote:
Point form.

- It's sunday night, winding down from the weekend and getting ready for monday morning.
-Regular shows dwindled down as well, folks go out to special shows and bands. I respect you guys as musicians and people, but the crowd probably dwindled when the variety of acts dwindled.

I was wondering if this was something that other shows were also dealing with.
Lash wrote:

-Start contacting musicians/bands you or your pals would like to see some time. Send them out a direct invitation to pop in and play a couple, make sure they know they can have a free drink and jam with new folks.
-Interact with your audience, the ones you don't know, point 'em out and joke around, I bet many of the people who might walk in can play a guitar, interaction makes them more comfortable to speak up/step up and give it a try.

Next time you come in, we're interacting with YOU. :)

Lash wrote:

-Maybe once a month or two have an open mic that supports a cause in our community, or something like that. Bring out supporters and their friends who support them.

We can cut Roach's hair every year to raise funds for a charity. I say ever year because his I suspect his hair would grow back fairly quickly. But I doubt we could do it every month or even two.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
I always love to pop in on a Sunday when I'm home and don't have anything to do Monday mornings. Could it be the whole Sunday night in winter thing? Is it cyclical at all? New years resolutions? So many possible variables? Do a study!? Hire songles to commission some stats on shredded tofu and all things boardwalk.


I've already run the numbers. January and February have always been fairly slow (with the exception of Superbowl Sunday and the occasional staff parties.) However the stellar attendance of the summer months usually more than make up for it average year. Last summer was, well, let's just say not so good. So we want to do whatever we can to start figuring out how to avoid that problem this year.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
meg



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 9887
Location: helltown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything should be made of bacon.
_________________
‎"Let me pop a quick "H" on this box, this way we all know its filled with the hornets."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meg wrote:
Everything should be made of veggie bacon.

_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
meg wrote:
Everything should be made of veggie bacon.


To be more giraffecycly correct, yes.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
meg



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 9887
Location: helltown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumwaiter wrote:
wilkins wrote:
meg wrote:
Everything should be made of veggie bacon.


To be more giraffecycly correct, yes.


The bathrooms will be made of veggie bacon then.
_________________
‎"Let me pop a quick "H" on this box, this way we all know its filled with the hornets."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meg wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:
wilkins wrote:
meg wrote:
Everything should be made of veggie bacon.


To be more giraffecycly correct, yes.


The bathrooms will be made of veggie bacon then.

I've actually never had veggie bacon and I assume, like any other veggie-made-'meat', it probably taste awful! You'd probably spend most of your time in the bathroom following the ingestion of veggie bacon.

We should have a GC Vegetarian/Vegan poll, y'know, to see the numbers. I'm all about the numbers of late.
_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 15271

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
We should have a GC Vegetarian/Vegan poll, y'know, to see the numbers. I'm all about the numbers of late.


I agree. We could have a poll where you identify your diet as:

a) Normal (normal)
b) Abnormal (vegetarian)
c) Profoundly abnormal (vegan)
d) McDonald's

I too would be interested in the results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Lash



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11225
Location: Does your bum hurt?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumwaiter wrote:

Next time you come in, we're interacting with YOU. :)

Hey, I've tried to boo, but I didn't get any reaction!
_________________
www.ErinKellyPhotography.com

I try to convey remembrance, the feeling of generations... I like the feeling of summer in the old days, the feeling of old newsreels or photographs. You get the feeling of fading away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cougars Open Mic - Suggestion Box Reply with quote

Drumwaiter wrote:
Maybe I need to take my shirt off like that other French guy from Divine Heist?


Brilliant.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
David R. Elliott



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 86
Location: Saint John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is always a good idea, have a page always on the go with updates and pics and vids so that you and the people that join can keep adding more people and hopefully get a number of people that you can remind every week that it's happening. Also directly asking people to play might help, as they will bring their friends. If you want the open mic listed in Here you can email this person: davis.alexandra@herenb.com for the listing, and she will be like, 'cool, no problem' but I'm not sure how you would go about getting an article as the saint john writer just quit, so im not sure who will be taking up that job. Posters in coffee shops n such is probs a good idea. As much promotion as possible is always good, and it never hurts to offer beers as some kind of a prize or something. If you're in that 'people who want to see the sj scene thrive' group on facebook you should probly toss it on there. I dunno, but if you make a group ill join it and invite some people, I'll probly come down and play some jams soon, see what it's like.
_________________
davidrelliott.bandcamp.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
wilkins



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2654
Location: The upper part of downtown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Famous Open Mic Band at Cougar's! And they're "blowing it out real big"; sounds like PBiz wrote this script!
_________________
Paint a picture, visions only grey. Light your pillow. Lay back. Watch the flames. I'll tell a story but no one would listen that long. It's hard to imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
World Famous Open Mic Band at Cougar's! And they're "blowing it out real big"; sounds like PBiz wrote this script!


Is the script 8 minutes of prog goodness? If not, I had no hand in it.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
hedley lamarr
anti-hero vigilante


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 2062
Location: office chair, under the ceiling of an ex-chinese restaurant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBiz wrote:
clinton wrote:
PBiz wrote:
I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!


it's often that Penny Blacks jams on a Sunday night, we will have to remember about this and come down one of these nights.


Do it, or we're comin' to you!


Clinton, don't you remember what happened the last time we played an open mic at Cougars? I still feel so filthy....
_________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." ~Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedley lamarr wrote:

Clinton, don't you remember what happened the last time we played an open mic at Cougars? I still feel so filthy....


Using this doll, could you please show to the court exactly where Clinton touched you?
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
clinton
tickled dink


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 11701
Location: graspin'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedley lamarr wrote:
PBiz wrote:
clinton wrote:
PBiz wrote:
I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!


it's often that Penny Blacks jams on a Sunday night, we will have to remember about this and come down one of these nights.


Do it, or we're comin' to you!


Clinton, don't you remember what happened the last time we played an open mic at Cougars? I still feel so filthy....


Oh yeah, Snooki and J-Woww. I almost forgot all about them.
_________________
...a note in the opening chords of a song

www.clintoncharlton.com
www.myspace.com/clintoncharlton
www.januarythroughdecember.com
www.reverbnation.com/clintoncharlton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clinton wrote:
hedley lamarr wrote:
PBiz wrote:
clinton wrote:
PBiz wrote:
I think a monthly or bi-monthly theme night would work. Theme night every week would be impossible for us, we just don't have time to practice to that extent (if at all). It would be fun as frig though, and I agree, we should try something like that out.

We really do want to get more bands out though, because that means more people, all that jazz. Come out and have some fun!


it's often that Penny Blacks jams on a Sunday night, we will have to remember about this and come down one of these nights.


Do it, or we're comin' to you!


Clinton, don't you remember what happened the last time we played an open mic at Cougars? I still feel so filthy....


Oh yeah, Snooki and J-Woww. I almost forgot all about them.


It's Roach and Benoit. R-o-a-c-h, B-e-n-o-i-t.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat it PBiz... Ever since I got those breast implants, I get that all the time.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumwaiter wrote:
Don't sweat it PBiz... Ever since I got those breast implants, I get that all the time.


It was the hair that got me.
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
say uncle



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a drum kit there that bands can use?
_________________
http://www.quonsetrock.ca/
http://www.reverbnation.com/therubberbandcan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
roachie



Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 428

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Sticks and everything... also electric guitar/bass... and a D.I. for keys or acoustic, but you gotta bring your own... if you are a string breaker, bring your own axe, cause it's a pain in the ass if you snap our strings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
say uncle



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. i'll mention it to the other guys. They all have families so i'm not sure what they'll think about a Sunday night but it would be fun to get out and play
_________________
http://www.quonsetrock.ca/
http://www.reverbnation.com/therubberbandcan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
PBiz
erectioneering


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 7967

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say uncle wrote:
Cool. i'll mention it to the other guys. They all have families so i'm not sure what they'll think about a Sunday night but it would be fun to get out and play


AND it'd be awesome to have you. SO yeah, try to make 'er out!
_________________
clinton wrote:
some say tomato, some say nom de plume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 2303
Location: Saint John, NB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say uncle wrote:
is there a drum kit there that bands can use?


It's well maintained and comes with double pedals if that's your kind of thing. I'd wager to say that we got some of the best backline for an open mic around these parts.

The only thing we won't provide is an acoustic guitar since Roach needs his to pay rent.
_________________
Mathieu Benoit
brufrog wrote:
...it is a fickle creature, this half animal, half motion device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group