Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBC Music's Rules for Concert Goers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: CBC Music's Rules for Concert Goers Reply with quote

Well this is very quickly stirring up debate. What do you think?

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/7/CBC-Musics-rules-for-concertgoers

Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I don't care for at any show? Hula hoops. Going to a show and having to stand way back from the stage because somebody needs 1500 square feet of hula hoop space drives my bonkers.
portcityadam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prudes.
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portcityadam wrote:
prudes.

There's definitely some prudish attitude going on, but you have to agree that tall people shouldn't be at concerts.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst is when people don't stand promptly after the opening notes of Handel's Messiah.
PBiz
erectioneering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
You know what I don't care for at any show? Hula hoops. Going to a show and having to stand way back from the stage because somebody needs 1500 square feet of hula hoop space drives my bonkers.

YES. AND people going to shows 100 early and setting up lawn chairs at the stage. This happened at RUSH in Ottawa and I was popping in to take some pics of the stage in the afternoon, and some people got all riled up because I went "ahead of them". I told them its general admission, you get in where you fit in, and also that the show didn't start for 5 hours. If they didn't like me, they must've hated the 50k that showed up later.
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Holy smokes. Did they think that RUSH were going to play mainly to people in lawn chairs? Some people are amazing (amazing = stupid).
PBiz
erectioneering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
Ha! Holy smokes. Did they think that RUSH were going to play mainly to people in lawn chairs? Some people are amazing (amazing = stupid).

I just had no clue people could be THAT dumb.

"Hon, grab the cooler, my umbrella, a few lawn chairs, and the washer toss... we gots us a RUSH concert."
portcityadam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot the Band wrote:
The worst is when people don't stand promptly after the opening notes of Handel's Messiah.

haha, like.

And Hawk yer right, tall people need to get with it and pick up a goddamn basketball already, a concert is no place for them.

Well, I never! (drops monocle)
brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with some of those things. For example, expecting people not to sing along to their fave band is stupid. People shouldn't sing loudly, though. Not so loud that you drown out the singer's voice for those around you. THAT is annoying.

And taking a quick pic or short video is OK, just don't record the whole freaking concert!

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, an attractive hippie chick with a hula hoop is a very very sexy sight...
PBiz
erectioneering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
I dunno, an attractive hippie chick with a hula hoop is a very very sexy sight...

Not in when she's in the way of the band I came to see. My view on hula hoops is as follows: go to the back, or sides, where there is space. Don't stand up at the front and try to be the show, because no matter how much your parents don't support your lifestyle, I still don't want to watch you express yourself through hoop tricks.
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBiz wrote:
wilkins wrote:

Not in when she's in the way of the band I came to see. My view on hula hoops is as follows: go to the back, or sides, where there is space. Don't stand up at the front and try to be the show, because no matter how much your parents don't support your lifestyle, I still don't want to watch you express yourself through hoop tricks.

Fair enough. I guess none of my hoop experiences have been all that close to the stage. And I find it goddamned mesmerizing.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't stink.

I went to a lot of shows at Elwoods, and I can genuinely say only 2 things really and truly pissed me off.

1 - Some drunk dude took my glasses. This is one of the few times in my life I genuinely wanted to kill another human, and I can't even quite explain why. I don't think I realized until that moment how vulnerable I feel without my glasses.

2 - There used to be a girl who would go to the odd Elwoods show who always smelled like she'd just spilled all the stale bongwater in the world on herself. I can handle a lot of bad smells--BO, shit, etc., but this particular person was the worst smelling person ever in the history of smelly people. Every time she showed up I would have to leave the bar, but all these other people would act like they couldn't even smell anything.

From the list above, I really don't understand why people care what other people do in the bathroom stalls. Seems like a pretty shifty place to get busy to me, but I don't care what goes on in there as long as it's clean enough to piss when I arrive. I'm not even sure how you'd know unless you stood outside the stall listening or something.
kate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 should be changed to "no one came here to hear you and your buddy have a 20min conversation about the last time you saw these guys." especially not in the first few rows. move er to the back if all you are going to do all night is chat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
feelings911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oy... this list. yeah, totally prudeish. can't say any of those annoy me, and I get annoyed fairly easily. maybe #5?

the hula hoop thing brought up in this thread... that, I will co-sign. but I generally am not really into outdoor music so it's more or less a non-issue for me, I guess.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I understand the right of Mr. Tall Person to get as close to the band as he desires, there is nothing that can ruin a show more completely for me than being stuck directly behind a giant. And since I'm basically pocket sized, this happens very often. It's the only reason my otherwise relaxed, lazy, and noncompetitive/nonfanboy self will show up super early for general admissions shows in venues that I know will be filled near capacity.
Scott M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
PBiz wrote:
wilkins wrote:

Fair enough. I guess none of my hoop experiences have been all that close to the stage. And I find it goddamned mesmerizing.

www.fetlife.com
mikef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of that list is irrelevant at a metal show...except maybe #3. there's nothing worse than when some shirtless goofball comes flying out of the pit at mach 2 and knocks your beer out of your hand.
Daniel Druff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here to represent the tall people of the world. And to all you short peeps I say, "meh"....
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Druff wrote:
I'm here to represent the tall people of the world. And to all you short peeps I say, "meh"....

You're dead to me.
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall is tall?
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
How tall is tall?

5 foot 7
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

songles wrote:
wilkins wrote:
How tall is tall?

5 foot 7

Really?? Geez. I guess I'm a tall person then at nearly 6'. So I shouldn't complain when someone 6'5" stands in front of me?
Daniel Druff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3". If I was at a show and realized I was blocking the view of a shorter person behind me, I'd be more than happy to switch places with them.

Found this at http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2007/10/tall_guy_at_the.html

Pretty funny, yes?
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody stand back:

http://youtu.be/yzG2ePFWUAg

Edit: Watch the no-shirt goggle dude. I'm dying.
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkins wrote:
songles wrote:
wilkins wrote:
How tall is tall?

5 foot 7

Really?? Geez. I guess I'm a tall person then at nearly 6'. So I shouldn't complain when someone 6'5" stands in front of me?

I think he's pulling your leg (from all the way down there). I'd say 6' and up is tall.

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: