Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaris 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Polaris 2013 Reply with quote

I am not really that surprised that Godspeed You! Black Emperor gave a complete kissoff to Polaris.

I don't necessarily agree the Polaris awards are some huge evil circle jerk like their statement seems to imply. The whole thing always seems like a relatively low budget affair to me and recognizes well deserving bodies of work so those musicians can go create even greater bodies of work. I don't really see it as musicians competing against each other firstly. It's not like people are going into the studio looking to specifically make a Polaris winning record.

This statement peaked my interest: "but let the muchmusic videostars fight it out in the inconsequential middle, without gov’t. culture-money in their pockets. " I couldn't help but think this was a shot at previous winners Feist and Arcade Fire.

http://cstrecords.com/statement-from-godspeed-you-black-emperor-on-polaris/

Shortlist, since I don't think we had a thread this year:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor – 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Zaki Ibrahim – Every Opposite
Metric – Synthetica
METZ – METZ
Purity Ring – Shrines
Colin Stetson – New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light
Tegan And Sara – Heartthrob
A Tribe Called Red – Nation II Nation
Whitehorse – The Fate Of The World Depends On This Kiss
Young Galaxy – Ultramarine

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
Jabroni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link don't work.
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine for me.

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there site is being hammered and may be going up and down. It took a long time to load for me, although I read their post earlier today.

"-holding a gala during a time of austerity and normalized decline is a weird thing to do."

It's not like Canada has come to a standstill economically and life as we know it has ended. Yeah, macro economic indicators aren't good and there are huge numbers of Canadians feeling the pinch or living in outright poverty, but it's not like dancing on the deck of the titanic. People are still permitted to eat and dance and wear fancy dresses.

"-organizing a gala just so musicians can compete against each other for a novelty-sized cheque doesn’t serve the cause of righteous music at all."

They're getting real money. With the possible exception of Tegan and Sarah, I doubt many of the artists on this years list have made a lot of money from music. I doubt most even made the medium income for Canadian households. This seems like old fashioned ideals about how real artists need to be starving and miserable to be around.

"-asking the toyota motor company to help cover the tab for that gala, during a summer where the melting northern ice caps are live-streaming on the internet, IS FUCKING INSANE, and comes across as tone-deaf to the current horrifying malaise."

Not asking Toyota to provide some funding for arts seems more insane to me. Does the band tour by horse drawn carriage? Do the fans who buy their music and tickets walk everywhere? It seems like great effort to come up with something to get angry about the corporate sponsor about.

The band is playing the TD Garden, Prudential Center, and Barclay's center next month. I find it insane that a company nitpicking Toyota wants to play a bunch of shows in buildings subsidized by banks.

I'm sure the band's fans will eat this up though. Good marketing.
Jabroni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's working. I tried to click on it mobile and tried on a PC and both times it didn't work.

Read it. Perhaps they can bike or walk to their gigs and power their instruments with solar power, blah blah blah. Hosting big concerts in a time of austerity, who do they think they are?
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird Canada pointed out that capitalism forces hypocrisy and this statement highlights it.

I agreed with the Toyota statement without much thought, but really the least a massive corporation could do is donate to the arts.

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
cancon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that they didn't pull out as soon as they were nominated actually.

To me, just keeping their hat in the ring seems counterpoint to their ideals.

Maybe they just assumed they wouldn't win and didn't bother.

I do respect the band and the argument they are trying to make but clearly there are holes in their logic as you guys have pointed out.

Kudos to them though for using the money for something that supports their point of view at least.
thebunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the band and own this album but give me a break. Agree with Dan x 2 on all of their points.

But hey, kudos to them for trying to be a weird version of Canada's Dixie Chicks.

Also, i enjoy reading Songles posts. Especially the ones about me that I do not understand.
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've pretty much always been like this though, so none of this is really surprising. Well, actually their winning was a little bit surprising... Or even being nominated, really. But I do like their music, so I guess I can't complain. Let's have a big round of Meh about it...
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with their politics, but they're really nice guys. We recorded our single and our latest EP at Dave Bryant's apartment/studio/communal space. They're the most dedicated bunch of folks I've met when it comes to nurturing an art scene in their city.
brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get their music at all. Please, someone, explain it to me. It sounds like soundtrack music to a nightmare.

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brufrog wrote:
I don't get their music at all. Please, someone, explain it to me. It sounds like soundtrack music to a nightmare.

I think you just nailed it.
mikef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

songles wrote:
brufrog wrote:

i can see some truth in that, though to some people the soundtrack to a nightmare is a damn good thing.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikef wrote:
songles wrote:
brufrog wrote:

i can see some truth in that, though to some people the soundtrack to a nightmare is a damn good thing.

Yeah that's what I meant. Nightmare music can be cool. I'm not a big fan of Godspeed, but that's mainly because I don't like long stuff. I can enjoy any given 4 minutes of their music. They do neat things with guitars.
Cryptowen
Positive Pelé

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only GY!BE track I've heard is stillvthat one with the crusty old dude narrating about the end of the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM
brufrog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are back, Cryptowen!

Cryptowen
Positive Pelé

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brufrog wrote:
You are back, Cryptowen!

yah mang
actually i've been popping in every so often, but this forum has been pretty ghosttown
brufrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptowen wrote:
brufrog wrote:
You are back, Cryptowen!

yah mang
actually i've been popping in every so often, but this forum has been pretty ghosttown

Yeah it seems to have died, mostly, which I am sad about. I thought you had moved away...

Cryptowen
Positive Pelé

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brufrog wrote:
I thought you had moved away...

I did, I'm in Montreal now (i should probably update that location thing over there)

But yeah, GC was never my go-to music forum due to relative lack of new stuff discussion, but it was nice having a dedicated SJ/NB forum
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

songles wrote:
mikef wrote:
songles wrote:
brufrog wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant. Nightmare music can be cool. I'm not a big fan of Godspeed, but that's mainly because I don't like long stuff. I can enjoy any given 4 minutes of their music. They do neat things with guitars.

GYBE is a tough band, but I do like their stuff, generally. It's music that rewards patience. They actually have keen ears for pretty melodies and menacing rock and roll, but they only reveal those sides in brief bursts that punctuate their drone-y "nightmarescapes." The title-segment of "Lift yr Skinny Fists" is still one of the best things I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shvo9t2qznw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: