Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your top albums of 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Your top albums of 2013 Reply with quote

In no particular order and subject to change as I'm sure I forgot a few:

1. Daughter - If You Leave (EASILY my favourite of the year)
2. New Order - Lost Sirens (although I have not explored this as much as I would like)
3. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
5. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual (probably 2nd favourite)
6. HAIM - Days are Gone
7. Austra - Olympia
8. Skinny Puppy - Weapon
9. Zola Jesus - Versions
10. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Honorable mentions: M.I.A. - Matangi, The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars, Janelle MonŠe - The Electric Lady, Ellie Goulding Halcyon Days

2012 albums I got into more this year:

Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
Ariane Moffat - Ma
Crystal Castles - III
Jenn Grant - Beautiful Wild
Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats
Santigold - Master of My Make Believe
Grimes - Visions

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Your top albums of 2013 Reply with quote

It's very refreshing to see a 2013 list that doesn't include that horrid Chvrches album.

Lots here I haven't heard. Thanks for doing this.
Jabroni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chvrches
Haim
Icona Pop

Lots of singles I liked from bands such as Smallpools, Bastille, New Politics, Lorde, Wild Club, Grouplove, Tegan and Sara, Ellie Golding, Capital Cities, and some others. Not sure if I like the albums or not as I had not heard them completely many times.
adam
What up, biotech?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in any order:

Everything HOWL did
Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium
Josh Ritter - The Beast In Its Tracks
Pissed Jeans - Honeys
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Joel RL Phelps & the Downer Trio - Gala
Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle/Sun Kil Moon & The Album Leaf - Perils From the Sea
Reversing Falls - Reversing Falls
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse

Have not heard the new Bottomless Pit, but I'm sure I'll love it.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Moonface - Julia with Blue Jeans on
2. PUP - Pup
3. Marine Dreams - Corner of the Eye
4. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
5. Reversing Falls - reversing falls
6. Cass McCombs - Big Wheel and Others
7. of Montreal - Lousy with Sylvianbrair
8. Frog Eyes - Carey's Cold Spring
9. Drake - Nothing Was the Same
10. Hooded Fang - Gravez
thebunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 was probably the best year for music for me since 2003, easily. Just an amazing amount of great albums released this year (and songs).

1. Delorean - Apar
2. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
3. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
4. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe
5. Jason Isbell - Souheastern
6. Ducktails - The Flower Lane
7. Pure Bathing Culture - Moon Tides
8. Various Artists - After Dark 2
9. Eluvium -Nightmare Ending
10. St. Lucia - When the Night
11.†Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavelle
12. London Grammar - If You Wait
13. Beach Fossils - Clash the Truth
14. Frightened Rabbit- Pedestrian Verse
15. Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
16. Local Natives - Hummingbird
17. The Field - Cupids Head
18. Grouper - The Man That Died In His Boat
19. Ford & Lopatin - Channel Preassure
20. Ejecta -†Dominae[/quote

Also, i enjoy reading Songles posts. Especially the ones about me that I do not understand.
ben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late on that Ford & Lopatin record!
brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was published in the TJ just before the NY. It was a great year for the bands and artists I love. Pretty happy with 2013!

Good Drink, December 27, 2013

Drink'N'Music 2013

10 of Craigís Favourite Records of 2013, Paired with 10 Favourite Tipples

Craig Pinhey

It is the end of the year, and time for my annual DrinkíníMusic list, in which I pair my top 10 listens from 2013 with an appropriate beverage. I am not saying these are the best 10 records released this year, just my favourites from the ones I have played and purchased.

Go to www.frogspad.ca for previous years.

Here are my top 10 albums of 2013, with recommended drinks.

1. Elvis Costello & The Roots - Wise Up Ghost

This is not Elvis Costello playing funk, nor is it The Roots punking out. It is a musical partnership that has resulted in some of Costelloís best lyrics - political and otherwise - produced in a different way, with snappy beats and in some cases funky bass, keys, lead guitar and a horn section...all behind Costelloís unmistakable voice. My favourite track, and my Song of the Year, is The Puppet Has Cuts His Strings, a bonus song on the Deluxe version, a moving ballad Costello penned about his fatherís recent passing from Alzheimerís. Just try to listen to it without breaking down.

You may like this LP if you like: Musicians who are not afraid to take risks.

What to Drink: An American/UK hybrid, so how about a Manhattan, but made with Connemara Peated Single Malt from Ireland, $51.59, in honour of Declan Macmanusís heritage.

2. Bettie Serveert - Oh Mayhem

This Dutch combo, fronted by a Canadian vocalist and song writer, is in my opinion one of the best rock and roll bands of the past two decades. The lyrics are excellent, as are her vocals, but Oh Mayhem - released in late 2012 but available here in 2013 - is really a guitar loverís album. It rocks!

You may like this LP if you like: The Pretenders, Juliana Hatfield, Metric, Hendrix solos.

What to Drink: Grolsch, a crisp, refreshing Dutch lager in a swingtop bottle. $3.18/450 ml.

3. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

Yes, I know, Canadaís indie twin darlings sold out and made a highly produced synth pop dance record, but, you know what? The lyrics are good, the tunes are memorable and catchy, and this is more original and better than the dance music that tops the US charts. I donít want all their records to sound like this, but this has found its way into my carís CD player an awful lot this year.

You may like this LP if you like: dance music with both brains and a heart

What to Drink: Something fun and bubbly but not too sweet: Segura Viudas Brut Rosť, Spain $16.99

4. Madness - Oui Oui Si SI Ja Ja Da Da

Most would say that this British pop and ska band peaked in the late 70Ďs and early 80Ďs, but this new album was a breath of fresh air in 2013, and as good as any of their early work. Iím not sure there was a better 2013 LP for hot summer days.

You may like this LP if you like: old school ska music and happy British pop, like if the Kinks meshed with Rancid.

What to Drink: a pint of UK-style bitter. My usual choice is Picaroons Best Bitter ($3.80/500 ml)

5. David Myles - In The Nighttime

New Brunswickís Myles is now a Canadian star, and this latest record shows his maturity as a vocalist and songwriter. These songs have a lot of soul, and he sings them convincingly. The bonus mini-CD produced by Classified is particularly groovy. I love it!

You may like this LP if you like: Marvin Gaye, nice tall guys.

What to Drink: Iíd love to recommend a wine from Nova Scotiaís Gaspereau Vineyards, as Mylesís brotherís wife is the winemaker, but we donít have any at ANBL. Jost, owners of Gaspereau, does have a smooth red called Jost Trilogy, though, for $19.99.

6. Wesley Stace - S/T

Wesley Stace used to go by John Wesley Harding but has reverted to his own name for this self-titled record. His career as a literary novelist (read the brilliant By George if you havenít already) has perhaps been more successful than his music career, but this new record is essentially a guidebook on the songwriting craft. The Bedroom You Grew Up In, When I Knew, and Wrong For The Part are just perfect little songs.

You may like this LP if you like: imagine Bob Dylan with a beautiful singing voice and British accent

What to Drink: Since Stace now makes New York his home, I picked something quintessentially American: Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey, $36.99, on ice or in an Old Fashioned

7.Prefab Sprout - Crimson/Red

Iconoclast Paddy McAloon has come back in 2013 with a wonderful album of gorgeous, thoughtful pop songs. It was too long a wait for this new record.

You may like this LP if you like: Pet Sounds, Steely Dan, Thomas Dolby

What to Drink: a glass of pretty, aromatic white, wine, with some zip, such as Willm Reserve Riesling from Alsace, France, $18.99

8. Miles Kane - Donít Forget Who You Are

A great British rock and roll record with songs co-written with legends like Paul Weller (the Jam) and Andy Partridge (XTC).

You may like this LP if you like: Supergrass, the more rocking Stones/Kinks/Who/Beatles songs, and the best of Oasis

What to Drink: what is more British than Gin & Tonic? But use local gin Thuya, $29.99.

9. Heavy Blinkers - Health

A very diverse record, long in the making, but satisfying. Lots of guest vocals, but still unmistakably The Heavy Blinkers, with the lush orchestration we know and love.

You may like this LP if you like: Pet Sounds, Halifax indie music, Jenn Grant

What to Drink: This is summer music, and Iím quite partial to a cold lager beer in the summer. This is tasty: Gahan Beach Chair Lager, PEI, 473 ml can/$3.29

10. Lloyd Cole - Standards

This Lloyd album could have come from the early 80ís, and thatís a good thing, as he was one of the best, and most original, singer songwriters to emerge from that age of excess.

You may like this LP if you like: Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, alt-folk.

What to Drink: A complex red wine, like a Spanish Rioja. Try this good value: Antano Crianza $14.99.

Honourable mentions: Tarmac Adam - The History Effect, Robbie Fulks - Gone Away Backwards, OMD - Electric English, Billy Bragg - Tooth and Nail, TMBG - Nanobots, Paul Mccartney - NEW.

Cheers and have a Merry Musical Holiday!

Craig Pinhey is a certified Sommelier and writer who loves good drink and music. Visit him www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad or follow him on Twitter as frogspadca.

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: