Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the deal on Canterbury Street?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzy dice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot the Band wrote:

Yeah, a lawyer for Dennis Oland as well as a lawyer representing 'The Oland Family' have been at each of the hearings. My understanding is that those lawyers had not seen the documents until the crown agreed to release some information yesterday, and they themselves were arguing that they should have a right to see it first. If I understand correctly, they got those documents throughout the day yesterday and this morning, and have asked the judge for time to go through them before they are made public. The judge has given them until August 16th.

Just my understanding from news stories and journalists tweets.

Presumably the argument is that if certain names and details are made public they will prejudice certain jurors in the future. Which seems like a reasonable argument to me.

Probably the lawyers for the Oland family and Dennis Oland would prefer the records remain sealed. My understanding is that the CBC and the TJ are trying to get them open.
kellymaraschino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot the Band wrote:
portcityadam wrote:
Ok, right, that's how I understand it. So right now the sealing order is up and they aren't out because of a request by the victim's family, I guess?

Yeah, a lawyer for Dennis Oland as well as a lawyer representing 'The Oland Family' have been at each of the hearings. My understanding is that those lawyers had not seen the documents until the crown agreed to release some information yesterday, and they themselves were arguing that they should have a right to see it first. If I understand correctly, they got those documents throughout the day yesterday and this morning, and have asked the judge for time to go through them before they are made public. The judge has given them until August 16th.

Just my understanding from news stories and journalists tweets.

Presumably the argument is that if certain names and details are made public they will prejudice certain jurors in the future. Which seems like a reasonable argument to me.

I can see prejudice being a very real issue. I would hate to see a mistrial happen after all these delays.

Tucker wrote:
pawlitics
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellymaraschino wrote:

I can see prejudice being a very real issue. I would hate to see a mistrial happen after all these delays.

Exactly. Let's just let the investigators and the prosecutors decide how best to proceed in making a case that will stick. Since none of us know the facts, it's all conjecture on our part to presume that there is something inherently not "normal" about the way this has proceeded thus far.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible to see both sides and seek some compromises without being all "Information wants to be free" and "Let's put our full trust in the police without ever asking any questions".

It's actually quite re-assuring to me that a judge didn't rule to go along with the crown in this case and is proceeding in a way that seems both cautious and in the interest of citizens and justice.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on! Pick a side and fire up the flame thrower.
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/08/16/nb-oland-search-warrants-1042.html

Hmmm...
adam
What up, biotech?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's [words redacted]. I seriously [words redacted].
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like ██████████ did it.
Eddie
Mr. Know-it-all

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be why all the stores uptown are out of black markers...
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Genealogy papers are somewhat intriguing, but yeah, not much there. Lie-ers are back at it tomorrow to argue for less to be redacted, claiming the redactions are too broad, not knowing what they are though--typical lawyer stuff, I suppose.
Drumwaiter
gros pamplemousse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/08/17/nb-sj-police-right-suspect.html

Getting warmer...
wilkins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/09/27/nb-oland-homicide-warrant-new.html

Getting colder... literally and figuratively, frost warning tonight.
wilkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info released: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/10/05/nb-richard-oland-murder-warrant.html

Some juicy bits and it pretty much says who the suspect is...

CBC wrote:
The day Richard Oland was killed, a man downstairs heard six or seven “exceptionally loud, quick pounding thumps” coming from his second-floor office, search warrant documents released by the courts Friday reveal.

Anthony Shaw, who was working on some computers at Printing Plus on July 6, 2011, described the noise to police as being similar to banging on a wall.

John Ainsworth, Oland's landlord and the owner of Printing Plus, also heard noises coming from Oland’s office — Far End Corporation — the night before Oland's body was discovered.

Ainsworth told police the sound seemed to emanate from one area and described it as “shuffling,” according to the documents.

The length of time the noise continued is one of the details that remain redacted from the warrants, based on an order by provincial court Chief Judge R. Leslie Jackson.

The following morning, Oland’s secretary of 30 years arrived at work and found discovered his body.

Last week, Jackson ruled that additional details from seven search warrant documents related to the 15-month-old murder investigation should be made public. His decision followed a lengthy legal battle by CBC News and the Telegraph-Journal newspaper to have the documents unsealed.

The judge said there was "no legal basis" to keep much of the information contained in the documents secret, and that police "had not demonstrated a serious and specific risk to the investigative integrity of the investigation."

But the judge ruled some key information should remain sealed, such as the condition of Oland's body and his office. The names of the individuals searched are also subject to a publication ban, along with any information that would identify them.

Intimate details about Oland's life
The released documents do not say how Oland, 69, died or whether any weapon was involved.

But there were “several types of blood stain patterns at the scene,” according to Sgt. Mark Smith, who is considered an expert in blood stain patterns.

And while the documents do not disclose any motive, they do appear to focus on Oland’s strained personal relationships as well as his financial dealings.

They also seem to suggest that the reason the prominent businessman’s body was not discovered until the following day may have been his eight-year affair with local real estate agent Diana Sedlacek.

Oland’s wife of 46 years and mother of his three children, Constance Oland, told police it was not uncommon for her husband not to return to their residence at night.

She only learned of his death after his mistress, whom she described as Oland’s “friend,” called to ask why police were outside his office on Canterbury Street.

Constance then called Oland’s friend and employee Bob McFadden, who informed her Oland had passed away, the documents show.

Constance described Oland as controlling. He was also verbally and emotionally abusive, she told police.

He hadn’t been the same since he left Moosehead Breweries in the 1980s, she said.

Other people told police Oland was “not the easiest guy to get along with.”

Some people were also deeply financially indebted to Oland, the court documents show.

Suspect 'on the edge financially'
The search warrants also indicate that lead investigator Const. Stephen Davidson has a prime suspect in mind.

The man, whose name is subject to a publication ban, was "on the edge financially" and deeply financially indebted to Oland, owing him more than $500,000, the documents show.

'Until I went over to his [Richard Oland’s] office, it was a very typical day.'
—Suspect's statement to police
When questioned by police about what happened on July 6, the last day Oland was seen alive, the man replied: “Until I went over to his [Richard Oland’s] office, it was a very typical day."

The documents also show Davidson believes the man lied to police about what clothing he was wearing that day.

The man said he was wearing khaki dress pants, dark brown dress shoes, a blue and white collared dress shirt with a navy blazer.

But an eyewitness tells a different story. William (Bill) Adamson said he saw someone matching the man’s description entering the building wearing a dark brown sports coat with lighter coloured pants.

The man was carrying a red bag similar to the environmentally friendly grocery shopping bags, which was “not empty, but not overly full or heavy,” Adamson told police.

Video surveillance of the man at a different location earlier that day supports the witness’s account.

It shows the man wearing a dark brown blazer, collared shirt and khaki pants.

The man’s wife told police she did not see him when he arrived home that night. He had gone straight upstairs and got changed, she said.

The couple had a conversation about where the man had gone after work.

He told his wife he had met with Oland and described the meeting as being “really nice.”

The couple went to a drug store, to a market to get some bananas, and then watched some television together.

The man also did a bit of garden work before going to bed, according to the documents.

The man’s car was subsequently searched by police and tested for blood evidence.

His home was also searched and several items were seized.

say uncle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it pretty much says who the suspect is...

I must have missed that part, can you give me a hint?
say uncle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait...you are suggesting the suspect would be obvious to those who know him/Dick Oland...I get it. Sometimes i'm a little slow on the uptake.
brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would any of us know who was deeply indebted to him?

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
wilkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/released-documents-in-oland-homicide-investigation-indicate-financial-motives/article4592102/

And from the TJ:

TJ wrote:
Warrants reveal dark side in Oland murder

Chris Morris

Legislature Bureau

05 Oct 2012 08:05PM
SAINT JOHN – Police believe there was a financial motive behind of the murder of prominent businessman Richard Oland, according to newly released documents.

The information is revealed in search warrants made public on Friday as a result of a lengthy legal battle waged by the Telegraph-Journal and the CBC.

The financial motive is just one element in a tangled web of family tensions, suspected lies and a long-standing extra-marital affair that make the police documents read like a classic murder mystery.

An individual, described in the warrants as being “on the edge financially,” was in debt to Richard Oland for about $500,000.

The individual also is known to have been in Oland’s downtown Saint John office on July 6, 2011. Oland’s body was discovered in his office the next morning.

The individual is described by police as the last-known person to have seen Oland alive. That person told investigators that when he left the office, Oland was alone.

Saint John police officer Const. Stacy Humphrey identifies the person as Oland’s killer, but the individual cannot be named.

Police officers seized a large quantity of financial records during their searches in the days and weeks following the discovery of Oland’s body on July 7.

Humphrey states in one of the documents accompanying the warrants she “believes that there is financial motive.”

Crown prosecutors and lawyers for the Oland family strongly opposed release of the police material. The Telegraph-Journal and the CBC have been fighting for release of the warrants – normally public documents – since December, 2011.

Provincial Court Chief Judge R. Leslie Jackson released the warrants on Friday but imposed a publication ban prohibiting the news media from releasing the names of the people whose property was the subject of search warrants, or revealing any information that might identify them.

As well, restrictions on the release of hallmark evidence mean that details about the murder, including the cause and manner of Oland’s death, remain under wraps.

“The documents are ready at the court office and the matter, as far as I’m concerned, is finished,” Jackson said during a brief court appearance to release the warrants.

Police interviewed more than 60 people in the hours, days and weeks following the murder.

The evidence provided by many of these people indicates a seemingly uneventful last day for Oland, up until his murder.

The 69-year-old businessman and sportsman had several meetings in his Canterbury Street office, including a later meeting on July 6 with the person who can’t be identified.

Two people working in a first floor office of the Canterbury Street building on July 6 told police they heard strange noises coming from the second floor, where Oland’s office was located.

Anthony Shaw told police he “heard six or seven exceptionally loud, quick pounding thumps coming from the second floor and described it as being similar to ‘banging on a wall’.”

His friend, John Ainsworth, said he heard shuffling sounds.

Several of the police interviews paint a portrait of Oland, a member of the Moosehead beer-making family, as an overbearing patriarch who was causing tension and anxiety within his immediate family.

Oland’s eight-year-long, extra-marital affair with Saint John realtor Diana Sedlacek was a concern to family members who knew of the relationship.

Police were told of efforts to persuade Oland not to “flaunt” the affair.

Oland’s wife of 46 years, Constance, found out about her husband’s death when Sedlacek called her on July 7 to find out if she knew why police were outside Oland’s office.

Constance Oland then called a family friend who worked with her husband. He told her Oland was dead.

Constance told police that her husband was “controlling, as well as verbally and emotionally abusive.”

The marriage was described to police as one of convenience.

Constance said it was not uncommon for her husband to not return home at night. He was described as distant from the family.

The police document adds that “Since Richard Oland left Moosehead Breweries in 1988, he has never been the same with his (three) kids and does not have much to do with them.”

Sedlacek told police she believes most members of Oland’s family knew about their relationship.

She said that on the day of his death, she and Oland had been planning a trip to Maine. The last contact she had with him was shortly after noon on July 6 when he texted her possible times they could go to the state.

“This was the last time she received any communication from Richard Oland,” the police information states.

Police say they have seized 378 pieces of evidence during the nearly 15-month investigation, and 243 of those required forensic analysis.

Some of the items listed in the warrants include articles of men’s clothing, books, papers, laptop computers, bedding and garbage pails.

Police have swabbed and sprayed cars, seats, bathroom fixtures, drains and doorknobs in an effort to track down possible DNA evidence.

There has yet to be an arrest in the murder case, now more than a year old.

According to a police affidavit released Aug. 1, the investigation has been plagued by an extremely slow forensic analysis process, witnesses who are afraid to talk and key forensic analysts who have fallen ill.

While Saint John Police Chief Bill Reid has said that an arrest is expected in “a short period of time,” lead investigator Const. Stephen Davidson recently said he doesn’t believe an arrest is imminent.

wilkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

say uncle wrote:
...it pretty much says who the suspect is...

I must have missed that part, can you give me a hint?

say uncle wrote:
wait...you are suggesting the suspect would be obvious to those who know him/Dick Oland...I get it. Sometimes i'm a little slow on the uptake.

No, it says the suspect/killer had their house, car, and such searched. We know who had those searches... 2 + 2 = 4. Yes, there could have been more searches that we don't know about, but if you've read this thread, the news, and followed along, it all fits and fits even better with today's details.

brufrog wrote:
Why would any of us know who was deeply indebted to him?

brufrog
I alos knwo wiine bar sthat hav ewine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, with all this, why isn't D Oland arrested and in jail? I don't get it.

https://www.facebook.com/Craig.Pinhey.FrogsPad
wilkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brufrog wrote:

They obviously don't think they have enough evidence to convict him, yet.
adam
What up, biotech?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Nathan Daniel Dean murdered Mr. Oland in cold blood.
feelings911

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brufrog wrote:

I dunno, after what it says about Richard Oland, I kinda want to give Dennis Oland a high-five if he did indeed whack his old man, as you, brufrog, are suggesting.
say uncle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, they searched his house...now I get it. I indeed did not put two and two together.

Whats even funnier is I actually know Dennis. About 10 years ago my girlfriend (at the time) and I rented the apartment above his three car garage, or 'carriage house' as they called it...I actually met Dick too. He showed up one day while I was outside with my GF's dog. He seemed like a real dick.
wilkins

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam wrote:
I can't believe Nathan Daniel Dean murdered Mr. Oland in cold blood.

Ha.
portcityadam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sic wrote:

Happy 2015 everyone.

Turns out this was perhaps the most accurate information in this thread!
SJPD Forensics have been on the stand for a couple days, and so far they've admitted to missing a footprint in blood, missingan alternate escape route (which they photographed...4 years after the crime), and that THE COPS USED THE TOILET AT THE CRIME SCENE FOR 2 FULL DAYS BEFORE CHECKING IT FOR EVIDENCE.

I'm makin' jokes about it here if you wanna do the same https://twitter.com/itsadammowery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: