Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

attn meat eaters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
thebunk wrote:

- Odd to see Hawk in a Vegan debate (not a bad thing, just an observation).

Why is it odd to see me in this kind of debate? I'm far, far more passionate about food and animals than everybody else here combined. I don't get it.

Edit: I'm terribly sorry about what I've said. Here's a perfectly happy pig enjoying the life its entitled to.

"I guess that's why sequential never made a prophet mohamed."

Last edited by zmd on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmd wrote:
Hawk wrote:
THoMFinBettle wrote:
i dont think ive ever really seen a vegan on here push their beliefs so much as defend them. and its usually the result of someone trolling.

Oh, unprovoked attacks have happened. I created a thread once to simply post a recipe for a kind of faux Peking Duck (pm me for the recipe - I don't post them anymore) and in that thread, was attacked and vilified for so actively promoting hatred towards animals, solely because I think those fucking ducks deserve a bath in some fucking soy sauce. Those little fuckers.

Anyway, it's happened.

this is one of those times I wish GC had the rolling eye smiley.
You were "attacked" and "vilified" (at least by me) because of your complete disrespect. There is/was no need for you to be all like "hey, you stupid duck Im so much better than you that I can kill you and eat your body you stupid fucking duck". That little fucker provided you with a meal, at least have the courtesy to be respectful.

I was "militant" for the first while I was vegan, then I learned that making people feel like shit about their dietary choices wasn't helping. The only thing I expect of people is to be responsible and respectful with your choices. Killing excessive amounts of animals for meals you don't need and supporting an industry that supports abusive behaviour is neither responsible or respectful.

Yes, you had made that point before as well. You're judging me however by my GC persona. I don't actually call ducks "fuckers" in front of my family, believe it or not.

One thing I measure as respect for an animal is how much of it the animal goes to waste. By that rule, animals that come into my kitchen are treated with far, far more respect than the average. That's a value one learns from other cultures that have great respect for its animals. You use all of it. There is no waste.
kmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you use the whole animal, seriously good for you. That still doesn't change the fact that the "attacks" were indeed provoked, you come on here (where you are very well aware there are many vegetarians and vegans) calling an animal that you ate a fucker and talk about roughing it up or whatever and expect no one to say anything?

Also, I really don't get the whole internet vs real life persona thing. Whats the point?
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmd wrote:
That's great that you use the whole animal, seriously good for you. That still doesn't change the fact that the "attacks" were indeed provoked, you come on here (where you are very well aware there are many vegetarians and vegans) calling an animal that you ate a fucker and talk about roughing it up or whatever and expect no one to say anything?

Also, I really don't get the whole internet vs real life persona thing. Whats the point?

My point is that potatoes are fucking assholes.

Edit: Especially russets. Those starchy fucks.

Last edited by Hawk on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmd wrote:

I don't recall the thread you guys are talking about, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Hawk refer to various vegetables as "fuckers" as well. It doesn't mean anything. He's very passionate about cooking and likes to have fun with it. So what?
holly golightly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'fucker' is a term of endearment. I call Cory that daily!

bitchplzdotcom
kmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but aimee, you don't follow that by sticking him in an oven and eating him.

I don't remember the thread entirely either, it was a long time ago and I don't read this forum enough to know that apparently Hawk likes calling food names. Again, all I'm sayin' is that if people aren't all like "rarrr destroy consume kill those fuckers!" then they're bound to get a flack. Same with vegans who are all like "I'm going to kill your family and eat them how would you like it?!" aren't accomplishing anything.
How about, instead of assuming that I'm hopping on the "vegans are crazy and hate people who eat meat" bandwagon you try and take my comments at face value? That'd be cool.
Actually, why doesn't everyone tone down the crazy? That's also be cool.

Instead of pointing out why everyone is horrible and is going to hell, why not concentrate on pointing out good things.

Hawk isn't as wasteful as a lot of people! That is a good thing!
Over Drive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: attn meat eaters Reply with quote

countdownhype wrote:
Eating meat is part of my culture.

THoMFinBettle wrote:
i think we're designed to eat meat because ...

Perhaps cultures where it is/was a necessity but in todays terms this does not apply but for a few communities. Evolution is not simply physiological changes but methods of thinking as well. In addition, large commercial farms are terrible for our ecosystem, require much more food resources/energy to produce food than is harvested and is a significant contributor to climate change.

dan culberson wrote:
I value human life very strongly. Animals, not so much.

Speciesism!

barb wrote:
In the Bible they ate animals. but only certain types.

Sorry, but refering to a book (written by man for man) that is not an autjority on the subject holds little water.

CaptainRandus wrote:
Since there are so many people, the vegetation on the world could never support the earth's population. Then, there wouldnt be no vegetables for the animals to eat, and they wil all die.

This is actually quite funny. It takes 10 Xs the vegtable feed (and the growth homones they are injected with) to grow the cow than is produced for consumption.
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmd wrote:

I don't remember the thread entirely either, it was a long time ago and I don't read this forum enough to know that apparently Hawk likes calling food names.

Hey! You're making it sound silly!
w-housegeoff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly have an issue with using animal meat as sustenance.

I DO have a problem with the mass production of animal meat-based products, as it's just a recipe for maltreatment of the animals (which I also have a problem with) and for sloppy and unhygienic practices.

And thusly, I TOTALLY advocate buying animal meat from local farmers, either directly or at local markets. Opportunities for this abound in these parts. It's incredibly beneficial for self and for community, and it will better prepare us for when the food-from-afar economy collapses and we can no longer cheaply and easily import food from the west and the United States. Right now most of us are so far removed from the food that we eat that we don't really think about it.

It really is all about fostering a responsible symbiosis.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in 10 or 20 years we may not have the luxury of being vegans anymore. It's true. We may end up, as someone else mentioned, squatting in the woods with a sharpened stick waiting for a rabbit to pass by.

I also should mention that I completely respect those who chose to not eat meat. I often wish that I had the willpower, for health reasons.

Last edited by w-housegeoff on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
kmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
kmd wrote:

I don't remember the thread entirely either, it was a long time ago and I don't read this forum enough to know that apparently Hawk likes calling food names.

Hey! You're making it sound silly!

wink!
thebunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
thebunk wrote:

- Odd to see Hawk in a Vegan debate (not a bad thing, just an observation).

Why is it odd to see me in this kind of debate? I'm far, far more passionate about food and animals than everybody else here combined. I don't get it.

Edit: I'm terribly sorry about what I've said. Here's a perfectly happy pig enjoying the life its entitled to.

The reason why I said that is because you got a lot of flack in the thread that caused you to leave GC for a while. Since you came back, you had not been involved in to many heated debates, especially regarding the "V" word. I do not question your love for food or animals at all.
mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w-housegeoff wrote:
I don't particularly have an issue with using animal meat as sustenance.

I DO have a problem with the mass production of animal meat-based products, as it's just a recipe for maltreatment of the animals (which I also have a problem with) and for sloppy and unhygienic practices.

For the record, this is my stance as well. I think the factory farm model is appalling because it is unnecessarily cruel, but I don't have a fundamental problem with eating animals. I respect the values and choices of others, but that's just how I personally feel.

<3
countdownhype

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: attn meat eaters Reply with quote

billy strange wrote:
countdownhype wrote:

Perhaps cultures where it is/was a necessity but in todays terms this does not apply but for a few communities. Evolution is not simply physiological changes but methods of thinking as well. In addition, large commercial farms are terrible for our ecosystem, require much more food resources/energy to produce food than is harvested and is a significant contributor to climate change.

I didn't say it was necessary part of my culture. I just said that eating meat is part of my culture.

I think we can all learn something from the Cuban model (they eat meat btw):

http://www.laneta.apc.org/desal/spip/article.php3?id_article=5
christopher durning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*walks in*
*peeks around*
*roundhouse kicks everyone*
*grabs Hawk and leaves*
eccrunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christopher durning wrote:
*walks in*
*peeks around*
*roundhouse kicks everyone*
*leaves*

if it bothers you so much, then why don't you just ignore it?

Fuck sacks!
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no neil. its chris' right to mock us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
christopher durning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it bothers you so much that it bothers me and I'm not ignoring it, why don't you just ignore it?
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually chris, i'd like you to keep mocking. i eat tofu and dislike the idea of killing for taste...mock as you will.

eccrunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it bothers you so much that it bothers me and I'm not ignoring it, why don't you just ignore it?

because you're getting in the way of people having a discussion.

it's kind of the online equivalent of you having a discussion with someone in real life and someone coming in and being like "i don't like what you're takling about i'm gonna pull my pants down and tea bag you all"

Fuck sacks!
panik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccrunk wrote:
panik wrote:
Quote:
All this says to a lot of meat eaters is that vegans are crazy people that equate eating meat to slavery. You're working under the assumption that meat eaters feel eating meat is wrong. If I thought eating meat was as heinous a practice as slavery, I wouldn't do it.

No no no Steve! They're right! If they just keep arguing a bit more, we'll all get it! Keep going, almost there!

And I'm sure if you keep being a totally sarcastic I'll completely do a 360 and give up on something that I believe in with my whole heart. Whats your point.

it's a 180. 360 would bring you right back to where you started.

Doesn't matter. I'm crazy so everything I say is not valid.

But if we want to get technical, 360 would bring me right back to where I started (I started off eating meat and not paying any attention to anything that had to do with animal abuse and death in any way)
kmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccrunk wrote:

because you're getting in the way of people having a discussion.

it's kind of the online equivalent of you having a discussion with someone in real life and someone coming in and being like "i don't like what you're takling about i'm gonna pull my pants down and tea bag you all"

I kind of picture it as two adults having a conversation and a 4-year old kid pulling on pant legs saying "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME"
eccrunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik wrote:
eccrunk wrote:
panik wrote:
Quote:
All this says to a lot of meat eaters is that vegans are crazy people that equate eating meat to slavery. You're working under the assumption that meat eaters feel eating meat is wrong. If I thought eating meat was as heinous a practice as slavery, I wouldn't do it.

No no no Steve! They're right! If they just keep arguing a bit more, we'll all get it! Keep going, almost there!

And I'm sure if you keep being a totally sarcastic I'll completely do a 360 and give up on something that I believe in with my whole heart. Whats your point.

it's a 180. 360 would bring you right back to where you started.

Doesn't matter. I'm crazy so everything I say is not valid.

But if we want to get technical, 360 would bring me right back to where I started (I started off eating meat and not paying any attention to anything that had to do with animal abuse and death in any way)

but you would be doing a 360 from where you are right now.

well, at least that's what most people mean when they say i'm doing a 360 when they should say 180. or maybe 540

Fuck sacks!
panik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how you look at it.
Obviously I typed the wrong thing. I was just playing with my words.
Regardless I'm an idiot.
eccrunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik wrote:
Regardless I'm an idiot.

i'm just being a dink. i don't think you're an idiot :)

Fuck sacks!
christopher durning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zmd wrote:
actually chris, i'd like you to keep mocking. i eat tofu and dislike the idea of killing for taste...mock as you will.

I don't mock you for that. If it makes you happy and pushes you to be a better person, that's fantastic. I mock the logic being used in this "discussion".
zmd
With vigor!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halelujah! Praise be to Wheat! I'm saved!

this, and most everything else you typed makes me think otherwise.

panik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccrunk wrote:
panik wrote:
Regardless I'm an idiot.

i'm just being a dink. i don't think you're an idiot :)

I know.
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright that's enough. Can't we all just start bickering again? Jesus.
crummy stuff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:

shut the fuck up hawk. let's get back to those goddamned potatoes, mofos.

(how was that?)
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crummy stuff wrote:
Hawk wrote:

shut the fuck up hawk. let's get back to those goddamned potatoes, mofos.

(how was that?)

Awesome you bastard. Yukon Golds have been getting on my fucking nerves lately too.

*sharpens knife*
THoMFinBettle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: attn meat eaters Reply with quote

[quote="billy strange"]
countdownhype wrote:

THoMFinBettle wrote:

ever hear the term "out of context"?

i think my point was pretty damn valid.

i did not say one thing in that post about climate change, or the ecosystem. if you want to take my words out of context, at least say something that disagrees with what i actually said.
Over Drive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: attn meat eaters Reply with quote

billy strange wrote:
countdownhype wrote:

THoMFinBettle wrote:

Perhaps cultures where it is/was a necessity but in todays terms this does not apply but for a few communities. Evolution is not simply physiological changes but methods of thinking as well.

....Insert break for Thom....There was supposed to be another quote here....

In addition, large commercial farms are terrible for our ecosystem, require much more food resources/energy to produce food than is harvested and is a significant contributor to climate change.

dan culberson wrote:
I value human life very strongly. Animals, not so much.

Speciesism!

barb wrote:
In the Bible they ate animals. but only certain types.

Sorry, but refering to a book (written by man for man) that is not an autjority on the subject holds little water.

CaptainRandus wrote:
Since there are so many people, the vegetation on the world could never support the earth's population. Then, there wouldnt be no vegetables for the animals to eat, and they wil all die.

This is actually quite funny. It takes 10 Xs the vegtable feed (and the growth homones they are injected with) to grow the cow than is produced for consumption.
zardoz
ignorant yank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in:

I also think people are forgetting that not all vegans and vegetarians are against the killing of animals for food. I know a few vegans that will eat, and have eaten, animal flesh that was hunted and killed in the wild. They are against animals being held in capitivity and the corporate farming model.

Back out.
THoMFinBettle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not trying to say vegans are wrong in their way of life mr. strange. but you tell me about one herbivore species that has eyes on the front (good for hunting) rather than the side(good for looking out for predators) of their head. that's the point i was making in that post.

and if you check out some of my other posts you will notice that i've said that in our modern society we dont need to eat meat. but it is heavily embedded in our culture. change doesnt happen at the drop of a hat or the snap of a finger.
Over Drive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THoMFinBettle wrote:
im not trying to say vegans are wrong in their way of life mr. strange.

Where did I say that's what you meant?

THoMFinBettle wrote:
but you tell me about one herbivore species that has eyes on the front (good for hunting) rather than the side(good for looking out for predators) of their head. that's the point i was making in that post.

and if you check out some of my other posts you will notice that i've said that in our modern society we dont need to eat meat. but it is heavily embedded in our culture. change doesnt happen at the drop of a hat or the snap of a finger.

Evolution: Not just for other species!...which was the point of my post. Changes in the ways we think/treat our world count for evolving too.
zardoz
ignorant yank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're both saying the same thing. Haha.
CaptainRandus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im done with this, see yeh
panik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THoMFinBettle wrote:
im not trying to say vegans are wrong in their way of life mr. strange. but you tell me about one herbivore species that has eyes on the front (good for hunting) rather than the side(good for looking out for predators) of their head. that's the point i was making in that post.

Do monkeys and apes and stuff eat meat? I don't think they do but I'm probably wrong. I'm honestly just wondering because as far as I know they have eyes facing forward?
mary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik wrote:
THoMFinBettle wrote:

Do monkeys and apes and stuff eat meat? I don't think they do but I'm probably wrong. I'm honestly just wondering because as far as I know they have eyes facing forward?

This article suggests that it can vary quite a bit by species, but that most primates eat more plants than anything else. However it also says chimps have been known to hunt for meat. It seems like it depends on what's most readily available.
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik wrote:
Do monkeys and apes and stuff eat meat?

Not only do they eat meat, but Chimpanzees were recently discovered making spears to use for killing bush babies and eating them (someone posted the article link here). I also remember seeing reports where they were found engaging in murder, kidnapping, and even cannibalism in extreme cases.
zardoz
ignorant yank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick wrote:
panik wrote:

Not only do they eat meat, but Chimpanzees were recently discovered making spears to use for killing bush babies and eating them (someone posted the article link here). I also remember seeing reports where they were found engaging in murder, kidnapping, and even cannibalism in extreme cases.

Adult chimps LOVE baby chimps.. kidnapping is actually extremely common among them.

*edit*

This goes for other apes as well.
thebunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick wrote:
panik wrote:

Yup. This was actually shown on one of those "Planet Earth" episodes that air on the ceeb. Pretty wild. One minute they are cleaning each other, the next they are hunting another clan of chimps, killing them and then eating the bodies.
Hawk
Funkalicious Throbatator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit. I thought for sure that other primates were all vegetarians. Now that changes everything. :-(
panik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Yeah.
I looked it up and it just said scavenging meat for some. But the hunting other tribes makes sense I guess.
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
Damnit. I thought for sure that other primates were all vegetarians. Now that changes everything. :-(

I don't know about "changing everything," but it's definitely interesting. Chimps and many other mammals get this warm and fuzzy reputation for how they're depicted in our culture, but they're actually quite psychologically complex creatures.
panik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most animals are. ;)
hooligans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I can't even remember why i came to Gcycle or how I found this thread but holy balls i killed like 20 minutes reading it. You guys are [were?] great.
CaptainRandus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh looking back on an 8 year old post... Man I shake my head at my own comments here, knowing the whole time I was procrastinating for my schoolwork haha.
songles
Cliff Clavinesque

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat animals because I think humans are superior, and since animals can't pick cotton, we should eat them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: