Giraffecycle.com Forum Index Giraffecycle.com
Giraffecycle Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a good election promise
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: a good election promise Reply with quote

adam
What up, biotech?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I am 1000000% in favour of gun control, but even so I have trouble believing this is a good idea.
Jabroni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an excellent idea for gun runners. where do i sign up?
alden rigby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam wrote:
Uh, I am 1000000% in favour of gun control, but even so I have trouble believing this is a good idea.

agreed - gun registration & control is a *very* good idea. handgun banning though? i dunno about that. i'm no libertarian, but all the same.....
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: a good election promise Reply with quote

m wilson wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/national/2005/12/08/elxn-martin-guns.html

The Liberals have lost my vote. It was a guarunteed vote before the election and they lost it.

Fuck 'em.
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many millions did they waiste already on trying to make people register rifles? good luck on this one.
Derek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam wrote:

Since he is primarily targetting handguns, I think it's an excellent idea from both a political / election viewpoint as well as logistically.

Most gun violence comes from handgun use. It's realistic (and a good ideas) to keep use of handguns on a tighter rein since they are technically only issued to be used in target practice, competitions, and (in less frequent cases) self defense (as the article said, basically.)

Rifles can also be misused to a violent and undesireable end, but it's easier to regulate rifles, and harder to hide a rifle in your pants.

If the concern is urban domestic violence, this area of focus is a good one.
alden rigby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the libs lost your vote, does that mean you are going conservative? i don't think voting for rev. harper is such a good idear either, even if he has switched to sensible sweaters this time out... but i hear what you're saying either way. more ndp votes would be nice though - mebbe....

who is the ndp cat for this anyways?

worst. election. ever. happy holidays! :(
alden rigby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek wrote:
Most gun violence comes from handgun use. It's realistic (and a good ideas) to keep use of handguns on a tighter rein since they are technically only issued to be used in target practice, competitions, and (in less frequent cases) self defense (as the article said, basically.)

how many people are being killed on the mean streets by handguns bought from sports shops & hunting stores or wherever they legally sell them though? most of those are stolen or black market items. they will continue to be black market items, and even harder to find now though. its the old prohibition scenario.
Derek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have one in Quispamsis yet (or do we?) Last I saw, there was a big sign with Jack Layton's name on it, but no local representation.

Maybe it's in the works.
adam
What up, biotech?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alden rigby wrote:
the old prohibition scenario.

Speaking as a prohibitionist, I agree with Jud. (lol)

Anyway, Derek will be horribly mad at me for this, but I have been considering voting in alignment with my fears of what could be (i.e. sucking it up and voting Liberal) rather than with my beliefs (NDP). The good news here is that I will be saying bye-bye to strategic voting because Martin is obviously off his head!
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alden rigby wrote:
if the libs lost your vote, does that mean you are going conservative? i don't think voting for rev. harper is such a good idear either, even if he has switched to sensible sweaters this time out... but i hear what you're saying either way. more ndp votes would be nice though - mebbe....

I guess at this point the conservatives could attract me enough to vote. NDP could as well. I do have some serious libertarian strains in me that will make it an uphill battle for either of those two...

I've spoiled votes before... I guess I could do it again. The whole process is starting to depress me.
Derek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alden rigby wrote:
Derek wrote:

how many people are being killed on the mean streets by handguns bought from sports shops & hunting stores or wherever they legally sell them though? most of those are stolen or black market items. they will continue to be black market items, and even harder to find now though. its the old prohibition scenario.

I think that by banning something outright, a government makes a very bold statement that they have to be absolutely able to back up. With prohibition of alcohol in the 30s, that unspoken statement was harder to justify, and that law eventually met it's end.

There needs to be a "harmless element" in a potentially dangerous item or activity to give it credibility. Alcohol had it, and prohibition is the 30s came to an end.

Things that can easily cause harm onto other and is used for this purpose maliciously, should be extremely regulated (inconvenient as it may be sometime.) If you look at the practical, real life use of handguns vs. rifles, it's apparent that handguns were meant (and desgned) to be concealed from fellow humans, and shot at fellow humans.

Perhaps banning something outright is a little extreme for the circumstances, but (like I said before) stricter regulations are needed.
reverend buddy winkler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun control is absolutely ridiculous, and a complete waste of money. It's a bullshit political promise to people who think that the guns are the problem. It's the people that are the problem.

It would be about as useful as coming out and saying they were going to ban all sharp pointy things because people keep getting stabbed.

Use the money where it might do some good. They've already blown over a billion dollar registering hunting rifles, and what did that do?

You only have to register one rifle in order to buy ammunition, and the ammunition doesn't even have to match the gun you have registered. For some reason somebody figured the guy at the gun store wouldn't sell you machine gun ammo when you've only registered your .22.

I doubt criminals are going to use a registered gun to commit a crime, so why bother?

If someone is planning on going and shooting someone, they're not going to head down to Dorions and go up to the counter and say, "Hi, do you have something that'll blow a man's head clean off?" "Why yes sir! Right over here, just fill out the registration forms and you'll be on your way".

Instead, spend the money on community projects and poverty relief. I would imagine a billion dollars would have gone an awful long way to helping the needy in Canada.

Seriously, it's for hunting.

mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a lot of nitpicking, but no solutions as to how we can stop gun violence in Canada. Prohibition could create more problems and a larger black market; but on the other hand, there would be no more legal handguns in Canada. What is a PM to do?
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps banning something outright is a little extreme for the circumstances, but (like I said before) stricter regulations are needed.

Stricter regulations haven't done a damn thing so far. Nobody seems to be enforcing regulations we have... but they sure do cost a lot.
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you propose the gov't do Dan? Gun violence is spiraling out of control, especially in Toronto.
alden rigby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaneater wrote:
The whole process is starting to depress me.

this statement is 100% correct and infallible. i have been completely turned off of any semblance of responsible gvernment at this point.

maybe someday a real rain will wash the streets or whatever it was that robert deniro sez..... til then or the next great flood or brimstone shower, i'll keep hanging my head in frustration.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m wilson wrote:
I hear a lot of nitpicking, but no solutions as to how we can stop gun violence in Canada.

Because it's not a problem than can be solved in a single sweep. It has roots in a whole bunch of larger issues--and in the end no matter how many rules you have you can't legislate people into being reasonable.

Quote:
but on the other hand, there would be no more legal handguns in Canada. What is a PM to do?

It would be interesting to find out how many gun crimes in Canada re committed with legal weapons. I think I read somewhere that of all the shooting in Toronto this year, 1 of them was committed with a legal weapon.. but I don't have link or anything to back that up... so...
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I'd also like to point out that alcohol prohibition was chosen by 51% of the people through a referendum in 1898. More than 70% of New Brunswickers voted for it. We chose it, folks. Edit, not 70% of New Brunswickers, but 70% of those able to vote.
Derek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m wilson wrote:
I hear a lot of nitpicking, but no solutions as to how we can stop gun violence in Canada. Prohibition could create more problems and a larger black market; but on the other hand, there would be no more legal handguns in Canada. What is a PM to do?

On the surface, banning guns outright is the most obvious, absolute solution.

By the same token, the administrative aspect of registering all guns is needlessly complicated (I don't own guns, but know people who do.) There is alos a lot of work that need to be done in streamlining and fixing all these processes.

Extreme a statement as this may be, it's not a catch-all solution. For this to be effective you do things like tightening up the borders, and generally ensure that no illegal guns are coming into the country.

It's tricky, and the idea is good, but there needs to be other things happening in conjunction with this.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m wilson wrote:
So what do you propose the gov't do Dan? Gun violence is spiraling out of control, especially in Toronto.

More police officers with better funding is a start. (I realize this was part of the announcement)

Harsher sentences for those found to be in possession of, buying, and selling illegal weapons. -- But no one will do that because they know it will cost more money.

We have very good gun control laws in this country, but they are not enforced. How can we say that more rules are needed when we don't use the rules we have?
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hopefully with the new rules in place will come actual enforcement. I hope. Banning handguns for the public seems like a good idea to me so long as it is enforced. Canada can afford to do this, too.
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like to a lot of people registering rifles seemed like a good idea and it did sweet fuck all. Just the same as this will. If someone wants a gun they are gonna get it. Just like if someone wants crack they are gonna get it. Its just putting a blanket over the public eyes out in suburbia and saying oh its all better now.....
el jefe
Official Internet Douche

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I haven't been shot by a rifle since they made that law. Case closed.
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brain wrote:
If someone wants a gun they are gonna get it.

That may be true, but it shouldn't stop us from trying. At least if a law exists to ban handguns, it paves the way for stronger initiatives in the future.

reverend buddy winkler wrote:
It would be about as useful as coming out and saying they were going to ban all sharp pointy things because people keep getting stabbed.

Well, there are a couple of differences actually. Most pointy objects have other uses, such as tools, pens, kitchen knives, ice picks, etc. Guns have absolutely no intended purpose except killing, whether it's human or otherwise.

Second, guns give criminals a psychological advantage, boosting their own courage while scaring the crap out of their potential victims... people are intimidated by guns and criminals know it. Guns can also be used to kill with minimal contact. They don't even have to get close to their victims. I imagine less criminals would be willing to attempt an armed robbery if all they had to work with was a pointy stick.

You are, of course, right that it takes a certain type of person to use a gun for killing, but as long as the tools are available, they will be falling into the wrong hands.
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its not closed
The odds of you getting shot are the same now as they were before the law was passed. The only difference is that millions of dollars were wasted "trying" to get rifles registered. With a hell of a lot of those rifles distributed by the goverment of canada in the first place after world war 2.
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and patrick
I would much rather get held up by a gun than a needle by some crack head

I think you know who and what i'm talking about.
el jefe
Official Internet Douche

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... none of the people I know have been shot by rifles since the law either. Try to find a flaw in that reasoning.
pudge_ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alden rigby wrote:

i want to make this clear, i am in no way a conservative, but with all the coruption that is a very real part of any goverment, but particularly this one, I think that if harper were voted in it wouldn't be that bad of a situation. If he did get elected it would only be a minority goverment anyway, so he wouldn't be able to get away with some crazy right winged sceme without passing it by the other parties, and the other three parties all range from the center to the far left.
Anyway my point is that if harper were elected the liberals would reconstruct thier party, and that means bye-bye pauly, which i think is a good thing.
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there is a HUGE difference between the registering of rifles and the banning of handguns.

Rifle registration, as a I understand it, was not to curtail gun owners, but to tabulate how many guns were in the country, regulate the sale of ammunition, and so forth.

The banning of handguns is to prevent their sale and to destroy all existing handguns.

Handguns are far worse than rifles because they are meant to be a concealed and small weapon. They are meant for killing people. Rifles are not a weapon that is easily concealed, and are usually used for hunting only. Handguns tend to be used by people to kill others in the streets, whereas rifles (when used to kill people) are used in the home.
panik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 6
From the Montreal Massacre to Gun Control: The Inside Story
by
Heidi Rathjen

Good Book. Gave me more info on why it was started and made it make more sense to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
pudge_ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik wrote:
December 6
From the Montreal Massacre to Gun Control: The Inside Story
by
Heidi Rathjen

Good Book. Gave me more info on why it was started and made it make more sense to me.

i might be wrong by didn't that guy bring a rifle to ecole polotechnic
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he did, but the using of rifles to kill people is rare. The man who did that was deranged. Edit, as I already mentioned: Rifles used to kill people usually happens in the home. Not that I think this is ok, but that is the case.

On that note, I find it hard to imagine rifles being used by gangs in big cities. They'd prefer to use handguns... and this is why the government would like to ban them.
panik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just refering to the people who said that gun control made no sense and stuff. I was just saying this book gave some reasons that I had never thought of before. It was all about how it started and shit. That is all. I have no opinion either way because I am stupid and can't pick a side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger    
dyslexicexistentialist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el jefe wrote:
I know I haven't been shot by a rifle since they made that law. Case closed.

lol happy birthday, jon!

p.s. i love this thread but have to go now so I can't say anything else
pudge_ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about mayerthourpe alberta,
maybe the government should ban deranged people
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cases, but they are isolated compared to all cases of gun violence. The majority of gun violence happens with handguns in the streets.
panik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the point is that you can't ban PEOPLE so you try to make it harder for the psycho's to do the shit they do instead. We all know "guns don't kill people, people do" and all that garb...
mw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!

:)
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and someone that sells guns must be a little derranged (on the black market) so who does that derranged person hang out with....other derranged people. So its no harder for a derranged person to get a gun to kill someone that bumped into him/her and spilt his/her ice cream.
bastardos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless....how is the attempt at reducing this violence a bad thing?
panik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i dont think it works as well as they believe im just saying i see the logic behind it.
I dont like the idea of rules like it because they lead to other rules and then others and others and .....etc. It makes me wonder. But I dont see other options either.

Last edited by panik on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
the trick
The Mayor of Funsville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brain wrote:
oh and patrick
I would much rather get held up by a gun than a needle by some crack head

I think you know who and what i'm talking about.

I unfortunately don't, although needle assaults certainly do appear to be on the rise lately. That's a whole different story though. Really, I don't want to be held up by either one, and since gun violence currently remains (to my knowledge) more prevalent and more deadly than pointy object violence, that should be a priority.
pudge_ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m wilson wrote:
There are cases, but they are isolated compared to all cases of gun violence. The majority of gun violence happens with handguns in the streets.

sorry i dont want to be a pain but according to "stats can"54 percent of fire arms used in a murder were rifles and shotguns, and most homicides are a result of domestic disputes
Birdo

its not but its just a waiste of money....because the people that are willing to give up there handguns are not the people that are going to kill people with them. So they find a gun at the home of sombody that commited a crime with it and take it.....they are doing that already.
Shoot the Band

bastardos wrote:
regardless....how is the attempt at reducing this violence a bad thing?

Because the only people it affects are the peaceful people who own handguns for their own reasons. You may not agree with those reasons or consider them valid, but the fact is they haven't done anything wrong. They're being targetted and having property taken away from them under the political cover of protecting people.

Since gun registration was introduced (which included further handgun restrictions) a WHOLE lot of money has been spent, and a whole lot of people have had to wade through a bureaucratic nightmare, but gun violence has actually increased.
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say a lawyer that has put hundreds of criminals in jail over the years wants to have a gun at his house to protect his family. He shouldnt be allowed to have one? Or an x cop that had to pass in his gun when he retired and now has some "reformed rapist" coming around his house once in a while. He should just call his police buddy's to take a drive by his house every once in a while? Some people need guns for protection. Not everyone in canada lives in the peaceful laid back maritimes.
Shoot the Band

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I don't own any guns. I don't see any reason to personally as I don't really get much kick out of them. But I do know lots of good law abiding people who do.

I guess today is sort of my cracking point for government intervention in general for me... I don't take laws lightly--I pay my taxes, register my car and drive within the speed limits, I don't do illegal drugs(though I support legalization)... When the government decides to take property away from law abiding people who've done nothing wrong I have a problem with that.

Let's take a trite example (obviously it's flawed, all analogies are)--Let's say someone played the bagpipes loudly in town late at night. Government makes a law that bagpipes can only be played on the fringes of town during daylight hours. No problem, everyone complies except one bagpipe gangsta who decides to march through Kings square at two am playing the pipes at full volume. Instead of government cracking down on this one bagpipe owner, the government bans bagpipes for everybody. Arguements seem valid--I mean, what purpose do bagpipes have except they make noise and annoy? Sure, some people may get enjoyment from them, but they must suffer as well because, frankly, I don't understand bagpipes.

Again, I realize the analogy is flawed and we're talking about dead people and not peopel annoyed by noise, but the premise is sort of the same--law abiding people who are doing their best to not have their actions affect others are having enjoyment and property taken from them.

I had previously volunteered to work on Paul Zed's campaign... this stuff is kind of a big deal to me.

(Full disclosure: I did trespass on private property once with Clinton, but that was in the name of art!)
alden rigby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaneater wrote:
Because the only people it affects are the peaceful people who own handguns for their own reasons. You may not agree with those reasons or consider them valid, but the fact is they haven't done anything wrong. They're being targetted and having property taken away from them under the political cover of protecting people.

yeah - my uncle is a kind & gentle fella, but he also like to hunt & sport some and collects war & political memorabillia. consequently, he has a few pistols in his collection, which only ever come out for the shooting range. i've shot them too as a child and its pretty fun & harmless stuff. there is no reason he should have his guns taken away, not being a huge gun nut or anything. just a regular nut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Giraffecycle.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: