In Windows 10, you can copy and paste the text images for a very long period. However, it is somewhat limited that only the supported copying one piece of content at a time. And there is no interface to view the things that you copy.
Now to come over these limitations and make the experience more useful. Starting with the Windows Update of Oct 2018, Windows 10 now introduces a new clipboard. It can track the text and images up to 4MB that you copy. Moreover, you can also view and paste the content from the clipboard history, and even the pin items that you copy and paste mostly.
In addition to that, it also leverages the same cloud tech used to sync your Timeline content, your clipboard history can now be accessible on all of your devices.
In this guide, we will explain to you the steps to set up and also se the clipboard experience.
How to enable clipboard on Windows 10?
In Windows 10 version 1809, you can enable the new clipboard experience. You can do that by going into the Settings app and the new keyboard shortcut as well.
Enable clipboard by using the Settings
Now to enable the clipboard in the Settings app, here are the steps for it:
- First of all, open the Settings.
- Secondly, click on System.
- Now, click on Clipboard.
- After that, turn on the Clipboard history toggle switch.
Enable clipboard by a Shortcut
This is an alternate way to enable a clipboard.
Here are the steps to enable a clipboard by using a keyboard shortcut.
- Press the Window key + V keyboard shortcut.
- Now, click on the Turn on button.
After these steps, you can now start using the clipboard experience and then manage many other settings as well.
Disable clipboard on Windows 10
The clipboard history device is using the sis that is disabled by default. However, you can check or disable it in the future if it is turned on.
- Firstly, go to the Settings.
- Now, click on System.
- Then, click on Clipboard.
- After that, turn the Clipboard history toggle switch off.
When you do all of these steps, the new clipboard experience will no longer be available now. It will not affect the old clipboard functions.
How to use the clipboard on Windows 10?
Even though the new clipboard has a new interface and many features as well. But still, it is not difficult to use.
When you upgrade to the Oct 2018 Update, you can still use the Ctrl + C shortcut to copy and the Ctrl + V to paste. Although you can now use the Windows key + V shortcut to bring up the new clipboard history.
In this new interface, you will see so many new items such as text and images that you copied from various applications such as; MS Word, Sketch, OneNote, etc.
Use these steps if you want to copy and paste content from your history:
- Choose a text or image from an application.
- Right-click on the selection, and then click on the Copy or Cut option.
- Now, open the document that you want to paste.
- Press the Windows key + V shortcut to open the clipboard history.
- Choose the content you want to paste.
You are also able to pin the items that you paste for faster access.
Here are the steps:
- Press the Windows + V button to open the clipboard history.
- Click on the Pin button for content you paste frequently.
When you do not want the content, click on the button again to unpin or click on the X button to delete the item.